Double Trouble

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Tina

Poor Ken having a fall and a black eye:( I think when you look back on all this, you'll wonder how you ever managed. I am pleased your mum seems now to be in the right place and that you have enough information to let matters rest for a little while so that you can replenish your batteries.

Have a good night's sleep Tina

Love

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
If I have to walk because of the snow, I will get to see both Ken and mum tomorrow, by hook or by crook! It is such a blessing to me to know that both mum and Ken are as well cared for as I could do myself.

Good night all and thanks for listening to my last few days of woe and worry. I hope all on TP get a good night's sleep as well (although I doubt it for many of the people who post). You are all saints in my book!

xxTinaT

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Tina, I just have not known quite what to say to you regarding this latest chapter in your life.

It is such a blessing to me to know that both mum and Ken are as well cared for as I could do myself.

Once again your only thought is for others. Can only send love n'hugs. Do hope that you manage to see both your mum and Ken tomorrow. If not, I know it will not be for want of trying.

Take care of you too in all of this.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to read what happen to your mother being rush in to A&E , but please to read that your mother recovering .

Hope you don't mind me asking, but have you thought of any thoughts on your mother future care when they say she ready to be sent home from hospital?

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Tina, you are one brave lady. Nothing I can say can express my admiration for your efforts. Never been through your situation so hope that others can help. Hope you get some relief, and your brother is able to help.

Love

Margaret

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear TinaT

Hope you can get out tomorrow to see Mum and Hubby.
I have been off line due to a broken computer.
Sending a HUG:)
Barb XX & Ron ZZZZ

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Les,

And I've been off line because I brought the router into the living room, closed the door and cut the cable in two! Went into PC world today to buy a new one - they don't stock them. As the salesman was telling me this a lady next to me had brought in a cable exactly like the one I had broken. She didn't want it as it wasn't suitable and so gave it to me. What a lucky coincidence and how nice was she to let me have her old one. Apparently you can only get this cable with the full router package so I was very fortunate to be standing next to her.

I've not been so luck with mum. I spoke to the staff on Thursday and told them that when she was ready for discharge I needed to see the SW regarding an after care package. They told me mum would not be discharged until early next week and we could put everything into place for her on Monday. As I had stocked mum up with everything she needed, I wasn't going to visit her the next day (Friday)but give the afternoon to Ken, who I hadn't seen the day before.

Imagine my panic when at 1pm yesterday, just as I was ready to set off to visit Ken, I got a phone call from mum's ward telling me she had been discharged and was waiting for me to pick her up! I 'flipped'. I told them my mum was NOT being dishcharged to a cold house with no food in the fridge and no care package in place. The nurse said that mum had been offered some care but had refused, telling them that her daughter and a friend would look after her! So I abandoned the visit to Ken (yet a second day!) and rushed up to the hospital.

The nurse on the ward desk said that mum was fit for discharge and as she was 'of sound mind' could not be forced to have a care package. I was really angry as I know that if it had all been explained carefully, mum would not have refused.

Went down the ward to see mum and Betty her best friend was there. It took all of my self control not to scream at them both in frustration. I told both Betty and mum that we needed help. Would Betty go in each morning at 8am to dress my mum I asked. Betty is aged 84 (same as mum) and needs a walking stick! Betty agreed that she would not be able to bend down to help mum dress. I told mum I would not be able to visit at 8am each morning to dress her and take care of her during all of the day. Both Betty and I would do our very best but she was asking too much of us. Mum then grumbled about how much it would cost her to have help. I explained that for the first 6 weeks after discharge it is part of continuing care and is free for her (she is on pension credits). I also said that if she continued to refuse help, then I would refuse to take her home as I knew that things would 'go wrong' and I would not pick up the pieces!

The ward sister came to the bedside. I pointed Betty out to the sister and asked did she really think that Betty could help to look after mum in any meaningful way? She agreed that in fact Betty herself looked as though she could do with some help herself. The sister then joined me in talking to mum, who by this time knew I how angry I was and also was relieved that she didn't have to pay for it. Alls well that ends well I thought. The sister was happy to go off and get the SW for me to put a care package into place and mum would not be discharged that day.

Two doctors then appeared, a junior doctor who had discharged mum that morning, and the Consultant Geriatrician. They examined mum and the Consultant said that blood test results showed she had some problems with her liver and needed a scan. She would not be leaving because of her medical problems.

So from the morning when she had a broken shoulder, heart problems, kidney problems, poor mobility because of a hip replacement and asthma - but was considered fit enough to be discharged without any after care, to early afternoon when she was not considered fit enough for discharge!!!

The SW arrived and together we put a good care package in place to meet mum's needs. She was as angry as myself and had not even been asked to come to the ward to speak to mum.

As I was passing the nurses desk to leave, the ward sister said that mum would be in until Tuesday and they had found her a bed on another ward. I felt my blood boiling again! I pointed out that in 4 days mum had spent 12 hours on a trolley in A & E and been moved to four different wards and I was not at all happy that she was being moved again! She pointed out that there was no medical need for her to stay in hospital and that she was here because of 'social problems'. I was flabbergasted! What about the Consultant telling us she had to stay because of liver problems? She looked puzzled and then said ' Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that' - and of course she could stay on the ward until these were resolved!

I came home punch drunk but victorious (for now at least)!

Today I went to visit Ken and was very concerned about his black eye from the fall earlier in the week. It had drooped down onto his cheek and seemed to be filling up with fluid around his cheek bone. His glasses were hurting him and had made an indentation into the swelling. The staff promised they would keep observations on the swelling. I took him out for an hour but he was very unsteady on his feet and didn't enjoy his little stroll round the local small shopping centre at all. He is very depressed again and it was hard to keep up a cheerful front with him today.

If he is well enough tomorrow I will take him with me to visit mum. It will kill two birds with one stone. Well - we will see what delights tomorrow will bring.

xxTinaT

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Tina...

Sorry...I've been so caught up with my own "family problems" I'm only just resurfacing.

What a nightmare you've been through....:eek:

Not only with mum and Ken but the weather too...

So..mum is safe for now.

Ken's eye sounds pretty bad, though...I'm wondering if there's a fracture to the bone around the eye socket. Are the staff able to put cold compresses on it to help the swelling..or would Ken not accept them?

You are an amazing lady...Hoping that you find things improved tomorrow.

Love gigi xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks Gigi, it didn't occur to me to ask if they had put any cold compresses on his eye. I will phone them now to ask and also tomorrow have a closer look. If I think his cheekbone could be broken I will take him to A & E. - Might as well take my bed there as I am in A & E so often recently!.

xxTina

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Tina, I'm really shocked at what you have been going through. I'm so sorry. I hope tomorrow brings better luck for you all.
Kindest regards,
Deborah

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I have opened the port, poured some into the steak and kidney pie I'm making and some into myself. I'm going to have a good meal (at last), put my feet up and relax tonight. I only wish everyone on TP could do the same.

Love to you all xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Tina

What a time you have had. I don`t know where you found the strength.

I presume Ken was wearing his glasses when he fell so am not surprised the area is swollen. It`s probably feeling very sore too.

The discharge episode with your mother would make a good farce if it wasn`t so irresponsible.

Enjoy your Port, your good meal and your rest. You have earned them.

Love xx

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Sylvia,

Thank goodness Ken wasn't wearing his glasses. I think he would have suffered more injuries if he had them on his face when he fell. He'd just taken them off seconds before.

Haven't read your thread today - hope you are having a peaceful (well fairly) night tonight. You certainly deserve it.

xxTinaT

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear all

I am trying to be calm. Just read all these posts. They all display stress,distress, worry, panic. Where is the support? Do your MPs care? Who is the Minister for the Elderly, sure there is one? Is he or she aware of all this? She only needs to log into the website to learn. Has she bothered to do so? It doesn't cost anything. So why not?

I am worn out with worrying about you all, wish I could do something. Let me know if I can. My little mum has gone now, so I have time to help others if it is possible.

Love

Margaret

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Margaret,

What a lovely person you are, and far too valuable to us all to wear yourself out on our behalf. Believe me I'm made of tough stuff and so is my mother! I was brought up fiesty by that very woman.

However as you say, it would be very good if we could suggest that The Minister for the Aged (Is there such a thing?) could be directed to read some of our posts. I'm going to google this to see if I get an address to write to.

My worry is that the NH service is now at breaking point and I honestly don't know what can be done to relieve the stresses that both people who work in the service and people who have to use the service suffer.

Havea peaceful night Mags. We all live to fight another day.

My love to you xx TinaT

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
I have just read this thread for the first time today and am so shocked, shocked at all this happening to your Mum in such a short space of time, shocked at the medical treatment ( or lack of it) shocked at what tremendous strain you have been under.

I do hope things improve soon with your mum & her treatment very soon.

Love Chris

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I have just spent the last hour writing to the Secretary of State for the Elderly about what has happened to mum and myself this week. I will let you all know if I get a reply.

xxTinaT

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Tina
What a dreadful time. But you've come up fighting. Go get them Girl!
I hope your poor poor mum is feeling better. A broken shoulder can reduce the 'hardest' person to tears(I was on morphine and codeine for weeks with mine), but to have to deal with this as well as the failing NHS is beyond comprehension. I am so sorry that you are dealing with the double whammy, but if ever there was a person that can cope( (and come out fighting) Tina its you. Nothing makes any sense in emergency NHS anymore. (NHS DIRECT-FORGET IT) You were right to get the staff to face up to the realities of your mums situation, then reason prevails. Its every man/woman for themselves these days, the loudest relatives make the most sense. Especially when it comes down to accountablilty. Thats what gets the results. Hope you were able to enjoy your steak and kidney pie supper(+ port)
take care
hendy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Update

Hi All,

Ken's black eye became infected and he developed an abscess. I noticed that where the swelling was near his cheek, it had become hard and inflamed so I mentioned it to the assistant manager. They are excellent whenever I draw their attention to anything and always deal with whatever it is quickly. The next day they called the doctor and he was given antibiotics. That afternoon the abscess burst and I cleaned it up. He is now on the way to recovery although still has a bruise over his eye.

I took him for an appointment at the hospital yesterday morning to check the pressure in his eyes (he has glaucoma) and then in the afternoon went to visit mum who is still in hospital.

She had an outpatient appointment last week to have an x ray of her shoulder which she couldn't attend because she was so ill on the ward.. I have tried for the last few days to arrange another appointment through the ward staff but kept being told that the orthopaedic department hadn't got back to them. I phoned orthopaedics yesterday and arranged for her to have her x ray tomorrow. I then told the ward staff to put it in their diary and told muum not to forget to jog their memories at least an hour beforehand. I would wait forever for the ward to sort it out! In fairness to them they are extremely busy.

She is doing very well now, judging from the amount of grumbling she does! I have the 'run down' on every patient in her bay and she has something bad to say about each of them She was excited about having a scan this morning and told me about it when I visited this afternoon. She went into the most minute details about what they did to her. Quite funny really as I suppose such new fangled things as a scan amaze her. She informed me proudly that she has 'a very, very enlarged liver'! I know that she is getting very bored and am pleased about this as it is a good sign that she is better and ready to go home. I have asked the ward staff to please try to let me know at least a few hours in advance of her discharge so that I can get her house ready for her. The Social Worker has visited mum and, although I'm sure something will go wrong with the arrangements, her daily needs seem well covered for when she comes home.

Ken and I are out for lunch tomorrow. We are going to Christmas Lunch with a Carer Group. The LA Care Worker who organises the Group has been a stalwart to me for the last two years and has helped me through so much. I haven't been to the group for at least six months but she keeps in touch with me and recently, when I tried to get a Carer's Cafe going in the hospital for carers of patients on the Assessment Wards, she came to all the meetings and supported me.

I will take a bunch of flowers with me to thank her. She organises the most splendid meal in a hotel with entertainment and it costs us nothing. I couldn't take Ken with me last year as he was on the Assessment Ward. I suppose with the public spending cuts the LA will not fund it next year. We have been well served by our LA and I only wish that people in other areas could have had the same good service. I'm looking forward to the meal with Ken. The other carers are lovely people and it will be nice to see them again.

It is quite hectic visiting both Ken and mum. I usually take him with me to visit mum. His walking is quite poor at the moment and it takes me ages to find a parking space and sometimes we have quite a long walk to the ward. This tires him out and he usually sleeps whilst I chat to mum, or should I say argue with her!!!

Seems like everything is covered at the moment and we may be back to a more normal speed by Christmas Day. I hope so as I don't know how much longer I can keep this up.

xxTinaT