Anxiety medication?

Twopoodles

Dec 23, 2019
Mum has an appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks. She has been taking memantine since November. She has always been a worry but at the moment her anxiety levels seem extreme. I have been her live in carer for a month now but every time I leave the house I get numerous phone calls often only 5 mins apart. I reassure her everything is ok but then the calls start again. Sometimes she remembers she has already called sometimes not. When I get home she is so relieved to see me but I can’t be in the house 24/7. The heating is on full bore and she has no hobbies so we really just watch telly and I cook, clean and find things. She has a cat and is constantly looking for him. She will have just seen him upstairs but then by the time she gets downstairs will say oh no wheres Henry. This happens all day. She doesn’t have regular visitors apart from the carers ( since September)who she doesn’t want and doesn’t let them do anything. When we try to take her out she doesn’t want to go and if we force the issue there are tears and hysteria. My main question is has anyone been offered anxiety medication for their PWD and if so has it been useful. Should I ask the consultant for some or is frowned on.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Twopoodles
My mum was very anxious at bedtime, she thought that someone would break in and attack her in the night, risperidone was prescribed and she has been taking it for over 2 years and although we get the odd bad evening it seems to have done the trick with no apparent side effects.

Twopoodles

Dec 23, 2019
@reedysue
Thankyou, I shall ask as mum is anxious about being alone at home and going out. The extra stress is certainly not helping her overall health.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
Mum has an appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks. She has been taking memantine since November. She has always been a worry but at the moment her anxiety levels seem extreme. I have been her live in carer for a month now but every time I leave the house I get numerous phone calls often only 5 mins apart. I reassure her everything is ok but then the calls start again. Sometimes she remembers she has already called sometimes not. When I get home she is so relieved to see me but I can’t be in the house 24/7. The heating is on full bore and she has no hobbies so we really just watch telly and I cook, clean and find things. She has a cat and is constantly looking for him. She will have just seen him upstairs but then by the time she gets downstairs will say oh no wheres Henry. This happens all day. She doesn’t have regular visitors apart from the carers ( since September)who she doesn’t want and doesn’t let them do anything. When we try to take her out she doesn’t want to go and if we force the issue there are tears and hysteria. My main question is has anyone been offered anxiety medication for their PWD and if so has it been useful. Should I ask the consultant for some or is frowned on.
I know it well. Today i went out for a coffee and aithin half an hour i had had 6 phonecalls, all increasingly hysterical about something that hadnt happened.
Yesterday, at work, i went into a meeting and when i came out i had 9 missed calls, all because a letter had arrived.

Not sure how long before i crack up, but its coming!