Respite - At Last!

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I am still a bit stunned, I got a call on Tuesday to say that a home that would accept mum had a respite vacancy but it was for this week so after a mad panic getting everything ready I took her this morning. The home was very professional in the way they dealt with mum as she refused to let me out of her sight, after trying a few distractions it was suggested that we all went for a walk around, one nurse had mum in front of her and called the lift I was behind the 2nd nurse as mum and the nurse got into the lift she pressed door shut and me and the 2nd nurse turned round and we ran back to the reception, she then came out to the car and collected mum's case. Her last words to me were don't worry we will be able to manage we won't ask you to come back for her, enjoy your week off.

We have been waiting for this break since last April, the wine is in the fridge.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Enjoy your wine - hope everything goes well for everyone

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm so pleased for you that this has finally come up.

I do have to say that given the time you posted ie after the sun was at least over the yard arm at this time of year, and how long you've waited why was the wine still in the fridge when you posted :eek::D

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I'm so pleased for you that this has finally come up.

I do have to say that given the time you posted ie after the sun was at least over the yard arm at this time of year, and how long you've waited why was the wine still in the fridge when you posted :eek::D

I decided that red wine did not need chilling so had that instead. :D

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@reedysue You have made me laugh, I have this picture of you in my head of you running back to the car like a little child hiding from mum like some mad escape.

Enjoy your respite and your wine.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Thanks everyone, I have just had a call from the home to let me know that mum settled after about half an hour, she spent the rest of the morning chatting to the staff and then had lunch and dinner with other residents, I am so relieved.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks everyone, I have just had a call from the home to let me know that mum settled after about half an hour, she spent the rest of the morning chatting to the staff and then had lunch and dinner with other residents, I am so relieved.

Sounds very positive . Enjoy your respite and the wine :)

SofaSoGood

Nov 22, 2019
Hampshire
I am still a bit stunned, I got a call on Tuesday to say that a home that would accept mum had a respite vacancy but it was for this week so after a mad panic getting everything ready I took her this morning. The home was very professional in the way they dealt with mum as she refused to let me out of her sight, after trying a few distractions it was suggested that we all went for a walk around, one nurse had mum in front of her and called the lift I was behind the 2nd nurse as mum and the nurse got into the lift she pressed door shut and me and the 2nd nurse turned round and we ran back to the reception, she then came out to the car and collected mum's case. Her last words to me were don't worry we will be able to manage we won't ask you to come back for her, enjoy your week off.

We have been waiting for this break since last April, the wine is in the fridge.

SofaSoGood

Nov 22, 2019
Hampshire
What’s put me off respite care is that (a) my Dad got SO MUCH worse when he was a hospital inpatient unexpectedly for a week last September (b) professionals tell me that it takes at least 3 months for someone with advanced Alzheimers to adjust to somewhere new & (c) the fact that if even if respite goes well he may not be able to stay there afterwards and - I’m told - changes of environment just cause problems
So while it’d be fantastic to unload him for respite care I’ve decided that it’s the full monty or nothing. We’re looking for a nice “suitable” place, but what a minefield!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Well done Sue, for getting her ready and in so quickly and for making good your rapid escape. You have heard that she is OK, now sit back and relax for a few days, with or without the wine.

Lladro

May 1, 2019
Well done you - Im really pleased for you, if not a little envious !
It must be quite emotionally difficult to have your loved one go into respite care, although I know it is on the horizon, I still can't quite anticipate the emotions that will flow when it happens. Enjoy your well earned freedom! Best wishes

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Sue
It's good to hear when things go well. I hope your mum is still settled and that you are enjoying the respite.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What’s put me off respite care is that (a) my Dad got SO MUCH worse when he was a hospital inpatient unexpectedly for a week last September (b) professionals tell me that it takes at least 3 months for someone with advanced Alzheimers to adjust to somewhere new & (c) the fact that if even if respite goes well he may not be able to stay there afterwards and - I’m told - changes of environment just cause problems
So while it’d be fantastic to unload him for respite care I’ve decided that it’s the full monty or nothing. We’re looking for a nice “suitable” place, but what a minefield!
It can work well though. My husband had four lots of emergency respite in the six months before he went in to full time care. I think it was good, in that by the time full time care was available, he was used to going for a week or two. He had realised it did him good (company, lovely meals in the "restaurant", etc.) so he didn't mind. After the first couple of times, when I dropped him off, I didn't even get a backward glance as he beetled off down the corridor to the day room as soon as we arrived!