Banking and POA

Ponddweller

Jun 20, 2019
Hi All,
I have LPA for my dad and have representative access to his bank account online. We are trying to remove his car from him at the moment (long awful saga) but he’s got very wily, e.g. changing the locks when we took the keys. Trying to get the police involved at the moment but he’s become so determined and angry that even when we manage to remove the car I’m worried that he’ll find some way of buying a new car. I asked in a Lloyd’s branch today if there’s some way of getting an alert if he tries to spend over a certain amount and they’ve said no. Any attempt to do that would block all spending. This seems a bit unlikely to me. Anyone have any experience? Is there a different phrase I should be using? Thanks so much.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi All,
I have LPA for my dad and have representative access to his bank account online. We are trying to remove his car from him at the moment (long awful saga) but he’s got very wily, e.g. changing the locks when we took the keys. Trying to get the police involved at the moment but he’s become so determined and angry that even when we manage to remove the car I’m worried that he’ll find some way of buying a new car. I asked in a Lloyd’s branch today if there’s some way of getting an alert if he tries to spend over a certain amount and they’ve said no. Any attempt to do that would block all spending. This seems a bit unlikely to me. Anyone have any experience? Is there a different phrase I should be using?

Can you transfer the bulk of your fathers money to another account with a spending limit?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Hi All,
I have LPA for my dad and have representative access to his bank account online. We are trying to remove his car from him at the moment (long awful saga) but he’s got very wily, e.g. changing the locks when we took the keys. Trying to get the police involved at the moment but he’s become so determined and angry that even when we manage to remove the car I’m worried that he’ll find some way of buying a new car. I asked in a Lloyd’s branch today if there’s some way of getting an alert if he tries to spend over a certain amount and they’ve said no. Any attempt to do that would block all spending. This seems a bit unlikely to me. Anyone have any experience? Is there a different phrase I should be using? Thanks so much.
Has Dad still got a driving license?

I went to see GP and he agreed OH should not be driving due to dementia - so I got form from DVLA and completed, blaming the Dr all the time, when talking to OH.
License was revoked, and OH agreed to car being sold.
But it did not stop him going behind my back and buying a bike to ride around on - he has now stopped wearing his glasses when cycling - he cannot accept that he is not safe on the road........

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
When I took over my OH's finances, his bank card got taken and I was given one with my name and POA in front of it. I'm sure there are some in-between solutions, but as you can see they are fraught with difficulty, and if you want to stop him spending money on a car, you will have to take over totally, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Ponddweller

Jun 20, 2019
I’m just doing online banking I’m afraid as I live 150 miles away with children. He’s living independently so removing his bank card isn’t practical and he’s not really incapacitated enough yet. He can’t remember to pay bills etc but it’s memory at the moment, not a problem with the process. The car has been unexpectedly hard to deal with but I suspect it’ll end up with going in in the night and finding the keys (family member nearby) but then we have to deal with selling it. Not sure how that happens if we can’t find registration document. Or how anyone else gets insured on it. But it’s such a psychological sticking point that I think k he’s bound to attempt to buy another one. He has no licence so I suppose a decent garage would pick up on that as you’d need insurance to drive away but that wouldn’t stop him buying privately I suppose?