Happiness is....

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
An unbroken nights sleep without having to get up and put the light on then off so he can use the loo and no waking up and tossing and turning for hours (him not me).
Managing to eat still hot porridge by myself in one go without having to run up and down the stairs to help with showering and dressing. Yes this has actually happened last night and this morning and how much kinder I can be to him because of it!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The first one I know about. Usually I get away with just turning on the bedside lamp and C finds her way to the ensuite, though there can be a moment's hesitation over the light switch and that tossing and turning while I wait for her to come back in.
On the second point though, would outside carers to help with showering and dressing be acceptable ? That can take a bit of the strain away?

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
I have just had motion activated lights fitted in the en-suite. So now as soon as the door is opened the lights come on and shortly after the room is vacated they go off.
The electrician just fitted a sensor to existing lights, took him aabout 30 minutes didn’t cost a lot.
Works a treat!

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Happiness is (or would be) having a leisurely shower in the morning without worrying about what my husband is doing. I just have to rush in and out washing as quick as I can. Why can't he just stay in bed for a while, like I ask?

I used to just put the light on for him when he wanted the toilet during the night, but since he had his fall I tend to go with him now.

Justmary

Jul 12, 2018
West Midlands
Happiness is ... discovering there have been no leakages overnight, so there is no extra washing to do.
(We don't have high expectations do we? Ha ha )

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
The first one I know about. Usually I get away with just turning on the bedside lamp and C finds her way to the ensuite, though there can be a moment's hesitation over the light switch and that tossing and turning while I wait for her to come back in.
On the second point though, would outside carers to help with showering and dressing be acceptable ? That can take a bit of the strain away?
We moved house only a couple of months ago and we now have a pull light switch in the en-suite which he has no idea how to use (made a rod for my own back there). I can manage showering and dressing at the moment as it's just turning shower on and off and supervising and then helping get clothes the right way round, trousers on legs rather than arms, that kind of thing! Teeth brushing drives me mad as he gets more toothpaste in the sink than in his mouth! We'll see how the disease progresses though and have a rethink.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I have just had motion activated lights fitted in the en-suite. So now as soon as the door is opened the lights come on and shortly after the room is vacated they go off.
The electrician just fitted a sensor to existing lights, took him aabout 30 minutes didn’t cost a lot.
Works a treat!
That sounds like a great idea @Vic10 - currently we're in rented while I'm renovating a bungalow but I'll definitely look into that for the bungalow, cut electric bills too probably. As I've said in other posts, if I had only known more about this disease and it's progress from the beginning I would have made quite different decisions, there is so much I would have done differently, ah well, it is what it is.

Dolly2

Sep 4, 2018
I put battery operated light along the route to and from the loo to his bed. Happiness for me was being able to stay in bed past 6.00 am