Care costs

Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
South Lanarkshire
Hi,
My dear wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s years ago.
Here in Scotland homecare is free but daycare and respite and so on is chargeable.
What I would like to know is I have been told my savings and assets are included in my wife’s financial assessment .
Is this correct?
Thanks for any help.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry you're concerned about this. I'm in Scotland but my husband died three and a half years ago so my own experience is likely to be out of date now.

I know that free personal care is free in Scotland and I used Self Directed Support to engage carers to help me look after my husband at home. We were given a budget by the Social Services Department and he had a monthly contribution to make. He also went to an Alzheimer Scotland Day Centre for one day a week and I was billed for that and paid it from our own funds. I don't want to comment on the assessment for funding as I know that things have changed since my time with caring. We do have some other Scottish carers and former carers who are members and may have experience which is more relevant.

I would suggest that you give the Alzheimer Scotland Helpline a call. They are open 24/7 and the details are as follows -

https://www.alzscot.org/

24 hour Freephone Dementia Helpline: 0808 808 3000

Worriedsick

Mar 4, 2013
South Lanarkshire

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
Afternoon just read this thread & so sorry that so many people are worried about the financial aspect of care costs & its implications from our own recent experience in Scotland, your savings & assets are yours & cannot be used to calculate care cost fees by the local authority.If you have a joint bank account the assessment is on a 50/50 split, they may ask for bank statements,if your wife has less than £16250 in an account she will not be self funding, if you are staying in the family home it should not be used for assessment purpose.Hope this is of some help.