I'm going to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you with me baby

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It has taken some time and a trashy film set on a snowy Magnificent Mile to reawaken this idea, but it's full steam ahead aboard the Empire Builder next summer for a trip from Chicago to Portland, Oregon. Will it be Casey Jones at the throttle I wonder? It will be strange revisiting the Tip Top Tap without my wife but holidays are in the past for her now. Look out Chicago!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have cancelled my trip to Chicago and Portland due at the end of August. Restrictions on entering and travelling around the USA, the continuing rise in Covid-19 infections there, a crazy president, uncertainty over flights, and the long journey times involved (24 flying hours, a 46 hour train ride and loads of time in transit lounges) have contributed to my decision. I don’t fancy risking spending that long in close proximity to others. Refunds have been received.. Buddy Guy’s Legends, the Empire Builder train and the brew pubs of Portland will have to wait for a safer, less stressful time. For now I'll concentrate on trying to keep virus free so that I can continue to visit my wife in her garden as I did earlier this week.
Chicago.jpg

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry you’ve had to cancel but it seems wise. I’ve also had to cancel a holiday booked for October. Like you I’m disappointed but happy that I’ve made the right decision,

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I fancy the train ride between Chicago and Seattle two interesting cities. Anyone done that journey?
I think there are some really interesting train trips in the US and Canada and their trains are amazing, the double deckers and the Rocky Mountaineer. I've passed through Seattle but that was cycling and I didn't get to see much of the city. It's all on the list, one day ....

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry you've had to cancel your trip - I do hope you get to rebook it for next year.

Not something I'd thought I'd ever say but I am quite fearful for my US family at the moment for various reasons, all linked to COVID.

We normally got to France for a weeks cycling and then a week of chill out (my 50plus body protests somewhat after a whole week of cycling every day)

We have booked 5 days in the norths pennines - not quite the same as cycling in the French sun, lets hope it is dry.

We went on a double decker train in France (just a couple of stops to get into Paris to watch le Tour from our campsite) and were excited.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is over 3 years since I first thought of this trip and 2 since I cancelled my booking. Now, with only a few weeks to go to my rebooked dates, it is starting to seem possible that this year I will make it to the windy city.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Fingers crossed it happens. We managed a holiday to Italy earlier this summer that we originally booked for May 2020. It felt very odd when we actually finally got there.

Limiram

Sep 22, 2021
This thread reads so close to my heart. We travelled all the time and still do now…. But it’s becoming increasingly difficult. I am for the first time in 3 years going to travel with a friend abroad for 2 days. My husband will be looked after by his sister but I just feel so guilty. Even though I know I should not !

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Pleased to hear that you've rebooked. I hope that you have a good time.

I was so pleased to go abroad again this year after staying in the UK in 2020 and 2021.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It's 4 in the morning, the middle of September (to misquote Cohen). I finally made it to Chicago a few hours ago. Helpful locals made finding my hotel easy and - still too dark to see for sure - I am told that Lake Michigan is just across the park. Time to catch up on sleep then out to get the pulse of the city.

20220912_225913.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar