TV Licence

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
After my husbands death I received a demand for a new licence to be bought by mid December. I went online and I put my details and received a letter telling me I did not need to buy a licence and to ignore any further requests. Today I have received a further demand. I will ignore it too and am not entirely sure if this is bureaucratic incompetence or a scam. New widows beware.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Make sure that you keep the letter that says you do not need to buy a licence. When my Dad died we transferred the licence into her name (both over 80 so had free licence) and it was very easy. Hope you can get it sorted

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes. Both came online so have kept records of them. I really can’t tell if the one demanding payment is genuine.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I recently contacted them to cancel my mums tv licence as I didn't know when it was due to expire. Despite having informed them 2 years ago of mums change of address to her care home it still took 3 emails incl attaching their confirmation from 2 years ago to finally sort it out. Don't think they are very organised.

concerned4

Jun 3, 2012
MIL received notification of TV licence, on front it had to be paid by January, SWMBO phoned up & was informed hadn't to be paid until June.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
If you are over 75 and claiming pension credit you get a free tv licence.My mum does at 84 and owning her own house...Makes a change to have something for free.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I am 75 but don’t claim anything. John was 86 when he died and got a free licence. So should I be getting a free one now. One letter says yes and the other says no.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I am 75 but don’t claim anything. John was 86 when he died and got a free licence. So should I be getting a free one now. One letter says yes and the other says no.
Yes you should but you have to apply for it yourself.It will take you up to 31st.May 2020...If you are below the governments threshold for money wise it might be worth applying for pension credit..
Mum only had her pension and no savings but was eligible.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
When OH went to care home I phoned the number quoted on TV licence in OH's name and got it transferred to my name there and then. I am 79 and am not claiming any benefits - it is based solely on age 75 or over.The woman I spoke to assured me that she had changed their records and there was nothing else I needed to do.

Although I'm pretty sure it's the same for all parts of UK but in any case Marionq, like you, I am in Scotland so you shouldn't have a problem arranging this.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my husband went into residential care and because I was under 75 I had to start paying the licence again. When I was 75 I was notified that I was then entitled to a free licence.
I was not getting pension credit and I didn`t inform them.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
You don't have to be on pension credit.But a lot of people are missing out when they are entitled to it..You never know until you try..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba