Home safety

Twinks12

Dec 14, 2019
Hi All, I'm new to the forum. It seems such an informative and supportive place. My Dad has been referred for his memory. He is up a lot in the night and wanders. I came to his flat today and his front door was unlocked. He lives in a block of flats. He didn't realise he had unlocked it. We have the Ring camera which is a blessing. I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on how we can keep in safe. Thank you so much.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi @Twinks12
I'm not sure what would work in this instance. You can get monitors which send an alert when the door is opened (the council provided one for my mother). It alerts to a Linkline operator who asks the person to go back inside and close the door. It can be set up to only alert during certain periods (so your dad can go out during certain periods). If your dad has a Yale type lock, closing the door would automatically lock it. If he has a lock which requires manual locking, it wouldn't.

I'm not sure if this kind of monitor would resolve the problem for you really. It's a difficult phase - my mother lived on her own and although she had daily carers, problems arose when she was left on her own.

Hopefully another member may be able to help more.

Twinks12

Dec 14, 2019
Sirena, thank you so much for your reply. Very much appreciated. The monitors for the door could work. I will look into it. Thanks again.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
As you're interested in the Linkline system, here is a bit more info.

There is usually a monthly charge (can't remember - about £7 I think) but as my mother had dementia, the council provided it free of charge (my mother's care agency organised this, they were very proactive). A council engineer needs to enter the property to set up the system so your dad would need to allow access.

For the Linkline system to work, you need a nominated person nearby who can be contacted and respond should your dad ignore the call centre and head out. The care agency took this role for me as I lived a long distance away. Bear it mind this contact could get called at 2am.

The council also provided a GPS tracker in case my mother did head out (useless, she wouldn't wear it).

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Twinks12 Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Does your dad carry his keys with him at all times? I had a pet tag engraved with my contact number and the fact my husband had dementia and diabetes for his key ring.

It might not be appropriate yet for your dad but perhaps something to be considered at a later date.

Twinks12

Dec 14, 2019
Thank you Sirena, really appreciate that further information. I will take a look.

Grannie G, he does carry his keys with him (normally all the time) and we've had our numbers engraved on a pet tag. Like you said. Thank you. x

LesleyPort

Nov 4, 2017
Hi,

My dad is up and down all night too, we installed the Hive motion sensors in his house so that we could see when he left the house, which room he was in and whether he was in bed or not.
Dad has now gone into a care home and he had a small stroke.
They were a blessing with my dad as he never slept all night and would go to bed anytime after his tea, then get up several times during the night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinks12

Dec 14, 2019
Thank you so much for the suggestions, we have installed a Ring camera in his hallway now. So I get an alert when he goes to the door. His sleep patterns are so bad now. He's up and down from 1am onwards. Goes to the front door and unlocks it. Looks outside and doesn't lock it again. It's like he is doesn't know how to lock and unlock the door now. He says something takes over his brain in the night. He's absolutely shattered during the day now. Seems to have got worse. Didn't know if this part of the process?