Counselling costs

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
I'm starting counselling on Monday which I'm paying for privately. The counselling is in relation to the death of my father in October 2018 and my mother going into care in July 2018 (Dementia) and all the associated grief.

My question is would it be reasonable to pay for the counselling from the LPOA account I hold for my mother? It's £40.

I don't want to flout any rules, but it's something I really need, and it is directly related to my mother's Dementia. If there's any doubt, I won't do it.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Blodski.

Personally I don`t think it would be acceptable for you to pay for your counselling sessions from your mother`s money. It is obvious you are aware it may be considered deprivation of assets and why you have asked.

However you could check with social services just to be sure.

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
Hello @Blodski.

Personally I don`t think it would be acceptable for you to pay for your counselling sessions from your mother`s money. It is obvious you are aware it may be considered deprivation of assets and why you have asked.

However you could check with social services just to be sure.
Thanks, I think you're right. Glad I did a sanity check.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks, I think you're right. Glad I did a sanity check.

I hope you still manage to continue with your counselling and it is successful @Blodskil. Can you get some sessions free from your GP because of your stress? I don`t know anything about it but you`ve nothing to lose by asking.

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
I hope you still manage to continue with your counselling and it is successful @Blodskil. Can you get some sessions free from your GP because of your stress? I don`t know anything about it but you`ve nothing to lose by asking.
Hi. Yes, but the waiting list is horrendous and if you pay privately you get more choice/ flexibility with appointments etc. It's ok, I'll pay myself, and view it as an investment in myself. Thanks.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Blodski

I think it’s unfair but last year when I needed chiropractic treatment for my knee injury, no doubt caused by having to support my dad, I had to pay myself. I know it was as a result of having to look after my dad but how to prove it...?

Blodski

Sep 3, 2017
Conwy
Hi @Blodski

I think it’s unfair but last year when I needed chiropractic treatment for my knee injury, no doubt caused by having to support my dad, I had to pay myself. I know it was as a result of having to look after my dad but how to prove it...?
Oh dear, that sounds awful. As if things aren't difficult enough. What happened? Did you manage to 'prove it'?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I just paid cos I wanted to be able to walk again @Blodski. It didn't occur to me to get dad to pay. Unfortunately the NHS are worse than useless when it comes to that sort of injury...just x-ray it and say it's fine :rolleyes:.

My knees ok now. I hope your counseling is helping.