Things for dad to do

ex-rambler

Nov 8, 2018
My Dad (87 years old) has spent the last six months in a Nursing home with an aortic aneurysm which had erupted and was not expected to live.. Much to everyones amazement he did and has improved sufficiently to convince them that he is well enough to come home. His condition has not changed and he could go at any time but for now he is alive and kicking. Mum and I are very happy about it but do realise what a commitment this will be, keeping him safe.
Dad has Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers, as well as Macular Degeneration, so can't see much and a perforated eardrum and can hear only a small amount in the other ear. Despite all his problems he is real character and some of the Nursing Home staff were in tears when he left, of gladness that he was one of the few who walked out of the front door to go home but also they said they would really miss him and his sense of humour. He kept them entertained and on their toes with his antics.
Mum and I are being kept very busy keeping dad entertained as during the last six months his dementia seems to have really progressed. He was taken off donepezil and other drugs for fear of upsetting his aneurysm so dementia even more noticeable now.
Since coming home dad has been constantly busy colouring in pre-printed pictures which I have been taking off the internet. We now have dozens of these pictures and after a week of "painting" constantly even dad is getting fed up with doing them. He says he needs something to do but doesn't know what. He gets depressed now not being able to get outside in the garden or walking to get his paper. Dr told him he must not do anything strenurous and best to stay indoors in the winter, having spent 6 months in a heated building all the time.
Dad used to watch TV a lot but he does not see TV very well now and Optician said nothing more he could do. Dads hearing is definately getting worse, even with TV up as loud as possible and sat pretty close to it.
I tried dad with a big jigsaw, even with me helping him he was not interested and wandered off. I found a simple radio for him to use but he is not into music at all and can't understand what people are talking about so again quickly lost interest.
WHAT ELSE CAN WE TRY TO KEEP HIM ENTERTAINED? I thought about trying Lego or similar. He definitely would not be interested in a twiddle muff. I have exhausted my supply of photograph albums, magazines and books (including library ones) on topics that would interest him. Any ideas?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Wow @ex-rambler well done to your dad, he is a real fighter like my dad. My mum also survived an erupted aortic aneurysm some years ago but she sadly died 6 months later of an unrelated ailment. My dad 90 has survived pneumonia earlier this year and also a heart attack and a stroke. He also has cancer and was expected to last 6 months but 20 months on he is still here having had no treatment. How do they do it, I don't know.

The only thing now that keeps my dads interest is quiz shows on TV There is a channel that shows quiz shows all day long that is called Challenge and dad watches all of the quizzes (if he is awake) He can't follow a film but can watch a David Attenborough programme but quizzes are easiest to follow and you don't have to be able to see well. I realise that the hearing is going to be a problem though with your dad but would it be worth trying a hearing aid.

Might be worth a try.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Fuzzy felt
Etch a sketch
Spirograph
Two tone felt tips
Basic origami
Paper garlands

hope something on this list might help you
Xx

70smand

Dec 4, 2011
Essex
My dad used to like fiddling with old gadgets such as calculators, an old stopwatch, an old mobile phone, handheld kids games that beep when you press them, remote controls, tapes measures and simple tools and we’d put them all in a rummage box for him to fiddle with. Connect 4 was a good game to play, although he forgot how to play it and would just fill the grid up.
Dad was very handy in his day and loved to help in any way so I often had him sanding odd bits of wood, ready for painting and that used to work for hours. Anything that he thought he was doing to help made him happy x

Mousehill

Nov 28, 2018
When mum us up to it, I do some baking with her, as she can have a bash at the simple things like mixing ( and of course, licking out the bowl!) Last week, I got some foliage from the garden and made a couple of Xmas wreaths with her and she really enjoyed holding little bundles of cuttings together while I tied them. Having said that, the next day, I was accused of taking over her house and filling it with leaves as she came down with a UTI and delirium :(

Were there any TV shows your dad enjoyed that you could get on dvd? Mum also enjoyed an old game we had as children called Staying Alive where you try to sink your opponent's marbles but she's past that stage now. She has MD too, but she just about picked out the marbles and made lots of jokes about losing her marbles too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75