Barrier creams for incontinence

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I'm wondering if anyone uses Proshield plus skin protectant for a loved one that is incontinent and possibly bed bound,it's supposed to be the best cream by far,but I had heard(at least in my area)that it's harder to get prescribed due to it's expense,but if a district nurse has concerns they can ask for it to be prescribed,so I just wondered if anyone else has been using it.
My mum had a bit of a graze on her skin(not a pressure sore) which looked like just the job for Sudocrem and the carers agreed but the carers at my house aren't allowed to use any cream that hasn't got a label on it saying that it's been prescribed,so I rang the doctor yesterday and explained that I needed some Sudocrem and said I would be normallly happy to buy it but need it prescribed to be an official cream so the carers can use it,so he prescribed it,I should have asked about the Proshield but didn't think about it at the time

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I'm wondering if anyone uses Proshield plus skin protectant for a loved one that is incontinent and possibly bed bound,it's supposed to be the best cream by far,but I had heard(at least in my area)that it's harder to get prescribed due to it's expense,but if a district nurse has concerns they can ask for it to be prescribed,so I just wondered if anyone else has been using it.
My mum had a bit of a graze on her skin(not a pressure sore) which looked like just the job for Sudocrem and the carers agreed but the carers at my house aren't allowed to use any cream that hasn't got a label on it saying that it's been prescribed,so I rang the doctor yesterday and explained that I needed some Sudocrem and said I would be normallly happy to buy it but need it prescribed to be an official cream so the carers can use it,so he prescribed it,I should have asked about the Proshield but didn't think about it at the time

I wouldn't put Sudocrem on broken skin, it can be painful, a burn like sensation. @Jessbow has suggested a good barrier and one which is used alot, Cavilon plus its a spray which makes it more practical to apply.

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
i have tried a few and always come back to sudocrem it works for me personally. other purpose barrier creams dont seem to have the same protection although cavilon does help sooth, i dont feel it protects, so i use sudocrem as a barrier. i think maybe depends on the person like with a lot of things. i dont know about getting it prescribed as i buy cavilon online

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
i have tried a few and always come back to sudocrem it works for me personally. other purpose barrier creams dont seem to have the same protection although cavilon does help sooth, i dont feel it protects, so i use sudocrem as a barrier. i think maybe depends on the person like with a lot of things. i dont know about getting it prescribed as i buy cavilon online
Hi we did have cavilon prescribed but it was replaced with one called Medi Derma as it was cheaper

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thanks folks,I'm going to see how things look after a week and if things aren't any better I will try and get Proshield prescribed,mums fine with Sudocrem it's only going to be used sparingly at night and after the morning wash for a few days then Medi derma will be used in between and going forwards

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I use proshield cream and spray for my OH, I did buy cavilon to start with but all his carers prefer proshield so I asked for it on prescription.
TBH I think both are excellent creams.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I use proshield cream and spray for my OH, I did buy cavilon to start with but all his carers prefer proshield so I asked for it on prescription.
TBH I think both are excellent creams.
Thanls I'm going to make enquiries about the proshield cream, I have the proshield cleaning spray

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I would think any of the products that you can buy for babies should work. They are designed for sensitive skin and don't need a prescription.
Hi thanks,the politics I'm involved with is anything that they apply as carers has to be prescribed Sudocrem is over the counter cream but they want it to have a prescribed label on it,although saying that mum has CCS footcream that isn't,if I can get anything prescribed I at least can ask them to apply it without them feeling I'm trying to get them to work outside the rules,it wasn't like this a year or so ago until they adopted the new rules firmly

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As a cyclist I use sudocreme on broken skin in delicate areas when a sore develops and have never had any sting issues. It does heal the area very quickly and I know is the go to of many cyclists when these issues arise.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
As a cyclist I use sudocreme on broken skin in delicate areas when a sore develops and have never had any sting issues. It does heal the area very quickly and I know is the go to of many cyclists when these issues arise.

Hi thanks,I must admit in the past I have had very bad large areas of skin as raw as anything in the groove of my groin and it had healed completely in 24-48 hours before,it's amazing stuff in the right places

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire

I think I’m allergic to sudocrem!! I use ALDI nappy cream

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Most cyclists say normal nappy cream isn't a patch on sudocreme. It does say a thin layer on pot but liberal quantities seem to work better . We normally only get issues on hot holidays which means a lot of sweating and long rides daily so area is under a lot of stress.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Proshield is amazing. Mum came out out hospital with thrush . She is doubly incontinent . It worked wonders. Need I say more. You may need the gp to prescribe or ok it.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum had proshield both the cream and spray when she was at home, once the sore had cleared though her GP/district nurse wouldn't prescribe it because of the cost. I know she had something else but I cannot remember what it was called, will try and have a look through my notes. ETA - Mum was prescribed Sorbaderm (think that is the right spelling) and that worked well

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thanks folks,I rang the district nurse tonight and mums going to have a visit tomorrow,so she can have a look at mums bottom and we can see about creams.
I'm going to have to ask at the pharmacy where mums regular order of barrier cream has got to,I collected other stuff today and didn't think to check the bags, got home and Medi derma barrier cream isn't there,I bet the GPs have ignored the chemist when they requested it for me as they did this a few weeks ago and the chemist said it would be because they thought I had it too recently,I don't stockplie creams but have to order them before they run out as it can take a couple of days to receive as Boots have to request it from the GP and then wait for the GP to e mail the prescription through,the creams are used 4 times a day and don't last long so they run out quickly.
I always make sure I keep hold of the old tubes so I can cut one in half and the carers can use the residue from tube which often is a fair amount,that's what the carers did tonight,they said another client had her order refused for the same reason.
I'm going to check with Boots in the morning and then visit the surgery and order it there as that will be quicker and that's what I will do in the future,at least I can then ask teh receptionist to add any notes to a request when I make one.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Mum had proshield both the cream and spray when she was at home, once the sore had cleared though her GP/district nurse wouldn't prescribe it because of the cost. I know she had something else but I cannot remember what it was called, will try and have a look through my notes. ETA - Mum was prescribed Sorbaderm (think that is the right spelling) and that worked well
Thanks,I have made a note of that name