Moving on after my mum’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Ooh @DesperateofDevon what do you do? I’m proud to say I totally smashed it on my own at yesterday’s event. I really want to do some more now but I can’t find any events to do this month so I will upload a lot of items onto Ebay & sell that way. All I can do!
While I was doing my event, my boyfriend took me there & brought me back & he was thrilled for me but he was laying down our new grey wood laminate floor & getting our black leather sofa delivered here.
The sofa belonged to his sister & is only meant to be a year & a bit old but it has been rather mauled by her 2 Maine Coon cats. I know we should have gone to see it but we honestly never had the chance to so..... we can hide a lot of the scratches with cushions & throws but I think we will be getting a new, non leather sofa in a year or 2 & it will do for now. My boyfriend was pretty disappointed at the condition but hey ho. It is very comfy though.
I now have more of a kitchen as we have moved stuff out of there to the lounge & my office & now my boyfriend can start building our kitchen as he can tell, it is really rather required for me right now as we have very little worktop space & not enough cupboard space at all!
Looking good!
Leather cream, will cover & moisture scratches! xx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Ooh @DesperateofDevon what do you do? I’m proud to say I totally smashed it on my own at yesterday’s event. I really want to do some more now but I can’t find any events to do this month so I will upload a lot of items onto Ebay & sell that way. All I can do!
While I was doing my event, my boyfriend took me there & brought me back & he was thrilled for me but he was laying down our new grey wood laminate floor & getting our black leather sofa delivered here.
The sofa belonged to his sister & is only meant to be a year & a bit old but it has been rather mauled by her 2 Maine Coon cats. I know we should have gone to see it but we honestly never had the chance to so..... we can hide a lot of the scratches with cushions & throws but I think we will be getting a new, non leather sofa in a year or 2 & it will do for now. My boyfriend was pretty disappointed at the condition but hey ho. It is very comfy though.
I now have more of a kitchen as we have moved stuff out of there to the lounge & my office & now my boyfriend can start building our kitchen as he can tell, it is really rather required for me right now as we have very little worktop space & not enough cupboard space at all!

@Kikki21 Pah. I'll swap your sofa for my chair. That's not cat damage - this is cat damage.
Do you think I could cover the scratches with a bit of leather cream?
:D

Attachments

• IMG_5914.JPG
    IMG_5914.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 406

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I found a water pistol stopped our cat in his tracks. Only took a couple of well aimed shots and he associated the water with scratching the sofa and not with me. It worked a treat.

I am prepared for being told off for this.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I found a water pistol stopped our cat in his tracks. Only took a couple of well aimed shots and he associated the water with scratching the sofa and not with me. It worked a treat.

No telling off - but our cat loved eater &thought it was a game!

Moggymad

May 12, 2017

I am prepared for being told off for this.[/

I hated doing it but I also had to do this. It only stopped him whilst scratching, the intention remained! Just have to show him the spray bottle now & he knows what it means. Still carries on though.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My 2 Bad Cats also love water play. But I love them a lot and hated the chair anyway. :rolleyes: I have a lot of cardboard boxes round the house (stock that I sell) and all have the corners clawed. Ditto my wicker linen basket. I should add these are cats that go outdoors (where the gatepost and fence edges get it) and they also have a huge cat tree with several sisal scratchers (half destroyed) and various other scratchy things provided for them around the house.

The weird thing is they are such gentle, non-scratchy cats you'd think they didn't have any claws! You can rub your face on their bellies and take all sorts of liberties and they never ever go for you :D
And because I am so excited, I'm adding a picture of Minky Mooncat. She's the little sister of my Roly and Nico (same parents) and is a blue burmilla. Met her for the first time on Saturday and will be collecting her in January - I can't wait!

Sorry @Kikki21 for the kitty hijack... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• MM2.jpg
    MM2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 397

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
[QUOTE="Jaded'n'faded, post: 1681057, member: 78158"
And because I am so excited, I'm adding a picture of Minky Mooncat. She's the little sister of my Roly and Nico (same parents) and is a blue burmilla. Met her for the first time on Saturday and will be collecting her in January - I can't wait!

She's beautiful

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Awwww @Jaded'n'faded post away, Minky is gorgeous! I’m in bed at the moment, feeling sorry for myself as I am sniffly with cold - urgh! I’ve just not been right since the first week of October & I am sure it’s down to all the stress. I never properly shifted that lurgy & it is still carrying on. I definitely need a holiday!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Kali is currently curled up on my legs & looking cute. I finally feel warm for the first time since this morning though so hopefully I am breaking the lurgy.
I think I am going to have to contact the Tenancy Deposit Scheme people in the morning as it is over 10 days now since the check out was done & the landlord has not signed it off. It’s not deliberate as such but he’s just anti social & thinks the lettings agent does everything & they don’t. He shouldn’t really be a landlord if he doesn’t know what he is meant to do as a bare minimum, the main issue is communication & he just doesn’t respond to texts etc. My ex who is a friend of mine knows the landlord & my ex’s brother is his best mate. I asked my friend to intervene but it resulted in the landlord having a mini rant about it saying it was nothing to do with him when it is. The house used to belong to his mum & when she died, he sat on it for over a year deliberating whether to move in himself, sell it or rent it out. It is really old fashioned & desperately needs renovating but it was cheap to rent so I took it on.
It could be a lovely house & he could rent it out for more money if he addressed certain areas!

Anyway, the state of the house isn’t really my concern, I just want my deposit back!
I’m only going to contact the DWP, hopefully the executor’s letter is now on the system & I can find out more information about the area of concern etc or if I have a miracle happen that they tell me there is nothing to pay! Keeping everything fervently crossed.
We are about ready to start building our kitchen next so that should make me a lot happier In actually having something resembling a work area for cooking Christmas dinner on! Xx

Attachments

• 48D8A8F8-EB14-4707-8D3D-FD4C66CF84A8.jpeg
    48D8A8F8-EB14-4707-8D3D-FD4C66CF84A8.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 399

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My 2 Bad Cats also love water play. But I love them a lot and hated the chair anyway. :rolleyes: I have a lot of cardboard boxes round the house (stock that I sell) and all have the corners clawed. Ditto my wicker linen basket. I should add these are cats that go outdoors (where the gatepost and fence edges get it) and they also have a huge cat tree with several sisal scratchers (half destroyed) and various other scratchy things provided for them around the house.

The weird thing is they are such gentle, non-scratchy cats you'd think they didn't have any claws! You can rub your face on their bellies and take all sorts of liberties and they never ever go for you :D

Sorry @Kikki21 for the kitty hijack... :rolleyes:

oh my that’s just adorable!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So I contacted the lettings agents again asking for the details of my deposit, she finally came back to me & said there was rubbish outside the house & yes there was as it was waiting to be collected on the Monday. My check out was Saturday 30th Nov, so I said most of the rubbish had been taken & we would sort out the rest of it as I had already put some in the green bin again & it’s not as if someone is living there!
Then she said there is stuff in the shed, so I said oh do you mean my shed which the next tenant wants to buy off me?! I also said yes there are items left in the outhouse which the next tenant said were ok to leave as it’s not watertight in there & we had run out of storage, seeing as we only now live across the road, it’s not like we have dumped it & this has taken over 10 days as the guy just does not communicate with people. Not happy at all about it!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So the really big news today is that I contacted the DWP. The letter from the executor was on the system & within 15 minutes, I had all the information I needed to know.
Basically, the investigation only concerns the last year of my mum’s life & it’s very simple. They just needed to check how much she had in her accounts compared to when she died as the AIP kicked in - phew so the worst case scenario is that the estate owes the DWP - £2,392!
Actually it is less than that as I asked the executor to send me the bank statement info & it is more like £1800 something - phew! To say I’m relieved is an understatement so I told all this to the executor & said right, you need to start paying up to the beneficiaries now & to me! Xx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I have to say, @kikki, I do admire your resilience. I've been reading your thread from the start (and your previous ones!) and it has made me resolve to never ever move house!

Kali is lovely BTW, she looks all warm and soft and squidgy :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester

We've tried this over the years but only worked as we did it. Ultimate solution was keeping cats out of living room when we weren't in it and an Orange scented spray.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
We've tried this over the years but only worked as we did it. Ultimate solution was keeping cats out of living room when we weren't in it and an Orange scented spray.

I waited until his claws were out and then he got it right between the eyes @jugglingmum Perhaps out cat was a bit wimpy because he learned very quickly. He was a lovely cat and we had him for 18 years.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I have to say, @kikki, I do admire your resilience. I've been reading your thread from the start (and your previous ones!) and it has made me resolve to never ever move house!

Kali is lovely BTW, she looks all warm and soft and squidgy :D

@Jaded'n'faded not sure about the resilience as I’m poorly now! I think the last few months have just been too much. Packing & sifting my mum’s house & then doing the same to mine is just nuts! But I needed not to rent anymore so it all made sense. The boyfriend is having a few days off from it all but he is off next week so he will be on it again, trying to get more of a kitchen sorted for Xmas!
Kali is a beautiful cat but completely mental. She completely adores my boyfriend & follows him around, it is really sweet to see xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister