Christmas present ideas?

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Any ideas for Christmas presents for PWD? I am really struggling to find anything my mum would like and I’d really like to get her something nice.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The Able Label company is new, with 20% of sales going to the Alzheimer's Society. Not sure what sort of things you are looking for but they stock clothing, accessories and gifts. I can't recommend as haven't bought anything from them yet but came across their website at the weekend when looking for ideas for Mum: https://www.theablelabel.com/

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I’m having the same problem. I’ve brought my mum a necklace as she always liked those, though she doesn’t seem to wear them so much now. I was wondering about a toy, maybe a cat. She may think I’m treating her like a child and she never could stand being patronised. I’m also assuming chocolates or biscuits might go down well, but she’s been given a chocolate advent Callander by another resident’s daughter and she obviously doesn’t know what it is or how to open it.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
It was my Mums birthday last week and although I put her gifts in a bag she was confused by the whole scenario. This makes me realise I’ve bought her FAR too much for Christmas, just things she can use in the care hone, nighties, vests, cardi, perfume. My advice would be to keep it simple, a small thing or two. As it is I’m just going to wrap everything in one parcel and open it in the CH, when she comes to mine we’ll all just have a stocking left with some nonsense in them.

SKD

I have made my mum a twiddle muff - she had one in hospital which never made it to the nursing home - and will also get her some clothes but at her birthday I realised she didn't really know what to do with a present.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Luckily my mum still likes new clothes, she forgets who has bought her something but that doesn't matter! I bought her some cozy slippers ( with a hard sole as she tends to wear them outside to put rubbish in the bins!) and also a lovely soft fleece top from Cotton Traders. I love their clothes as they are easy to wear, wash well and look good on mum.

For Christmas I'm getting her some bird feeders that attach to the Windows as mum enjoys looking at the birds out of the window and hopefully these feeders will bring them tight up to the house. I'll also get a years supply of bird food!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Luckily my mum still likes new clothes, she forgets who has bought her something but that doesn't matter! I bought her some cozy slippers ( with a hard sole as she tends to wear them outside to put rubbish in the bins!) and also a lovely soft fleece top from Cotton Traders. I love their clothes as they are easy to wear, wash well and look good on mum.

For Christmas I'm getting her some bird feeders that attach to the Windows as mum enjoys looking at the birds out of the window and hopefully these feeders will bring them tight up to the house. I'll also get a years supply of bird food!

I thought about the twiddle muff but I’m not sure she won’t think it silly at the moment. My dad had dementia and he would have loved one of these if I’d known about them then x

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Clothes, toiletries, chocolate, and in my mother's case a cuddly toy. I agree, keep it simple.

@Lynmax a lot of my mother's clothes are from Cotton Traders - and M&S.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Clothes, toiletries, chocolate, and in my mother's case a cuddly toy.

Yes, simple is definitely best. My Mum would be happy with anything but chocolate is a big favourite, plus I'll get her a nice top or some pyjamas, and I've also bought a cuddly toy which plays music and lights up when squeezed. Might also get some Fuzzy Felt for me to play with :D

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I've also bought a cuddly toy which plays music and lights up when squeezed.

You're brave. We used to buy our dog a squeaky rubber toy for Christmas and we were always so pleased when he finally bit through the squeak!

I'm tempted by the Fuzzy Felt!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
You're brave. We used to buy our dog a squeaky rubber toy for Christmas and we were always so pleased when he finally bit through the squeak!

I know what you mean about dog toys but as Mum's in a home I can leave if it all gets too much! :p She gets around using a recliner chair on wheels and my sister bought a bike horn to fit to the handlebars. Mum loves it and so do the staff but some of the other residents seem less pleased. The squeezy end recently went missing which I suspect may have been sabotage.......

andreasss86

Dec 10, 2019
Hi! I think the best thing to do is keep it simple. And only but things which are necessary. When Christmas time comes people tend to buy so many unnecessary gifts, which people don't even like or want... It is such a massive waste. I always try to think about what my family and friends really need. Try to think what it is they like, you've seen them wear or enjoy for a long time. Just a thought. Let's think about creating less waste.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Between us we have stuck to practical - trousers, tee shirts and jumpers. Means we can get rid of some of the ones she is currently wearing (they have seen better days), new ones are similar in colour and style so it doesn't confuse her thinking they aren't hers. We did find a twiddle muff laying in the lounge and shown it to mum who threw it across the room saying it was rubbish so glad I didn't make her one

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I know what you mean about dog toys but as Mum's in a home I can leave if it all gets too much! :p She gets around using a recliner chair on wheels and my sister bought a bike horn to fit to the handlebars. Mum loves it and so do the staff but some of the other residents seem less pleased. The squeezy end recently went missing which I suspect may have been sabotage.......

I can imagine the cuddly toy encountering some sabotage too :D

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I have bought Mum some more clothes as she continuously gets tinier and more skeletal, but I have purposely been holding off 'fun' present buying for her, as she has deteriorated hugely in the last few weeks. She has fallen out of bed twice and and her head and face are black and blue. Present buying is not helped by the fact that Mum's 91st birthday is only 3 days before Christmas Day, so it's a double whammy. Mum is losing weight rapidly and not eating and today, on my way home from the CH in the middle of a vast supermarket, I had a call from the GP advising advance care plans, hospice involvement and a supply of morphine if required :(. I really don't know what will be happening at Xmas.

DD is buying her Nan that famous spa's lovely orange smelly showergel and scent. I am just about to order a projector that will do patterns on the ceiling and play nature noises. I have already bought a silicone pendant on a cord as Mum keeps sucking her fingers, my hand, anything she can get hold of, and a small softy animal face on a wristband with lots of ribbons coming off it to fiddle with. I'll probably get her another couple of nightdresses as she is spending more time in bed.

Past gifts have included the Ker plunk game, a lap fleece with family pictures printed on it, a 'magic' sequin cushion that changes pattern when you run your hand over it; some plastic balls that press together easily; kids reusable sticker scenes; picture books, an animatronic cat and other soft toys, a variety of dementia clocks as Mum's ability has altered; a radio with a programmable favourite station button, magic painting sheets, ........... oh and Mum has a vast array of cushions with special messages on them, that she loved when she could read and understand them.

monkeygirl15

Oct 1, 2017
Last year I bought my mum a memory blanket. I can't remember (ironic) the company but if you Google it companies will come up. You basically upload photos and they print them onto a fleece blanket. I did all old photos.

This year my mum has gone downhill loads. I've bought her a pot of indoor daffodils bulbs from M&S which require minimal care. When I went last week she was humming a tune in her sleep which i recorded. it turned out to be O Little Town Of Bethlehem so I've also bought her a CD of Traditional Christmas Carols that she can have on

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman