Elizabeth Is Missing

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Was anyone else brave enough to watch this last night? I did and it affected me profoundly. I thought Glenda Jackson's portrayal of the Mum was spot on - so true to life that it was heartbreaking. I,m hoping that many people watched it and it will lead to a better understanding of what Living with Dementia is like for the PWD and their family carers.
Yes heartbreaking but so important to get this kind of thing out there to give people an insight into this awful disease - Glenda Jackson, brilliant actress.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Just finished watching it on Iplayer - still feeling a little "raw" - one thing that resonated was the brother in and out twice a year and was still "favoured". We have our own invisible BIL over Sat to Monday for the MIL's 90th on Sunday, yeah less than 48 hours in 15 months that he will be seeing her - actions speak louder than words. Took the MIL in to the chiropodist today she was told would be about 4 months till she needed to come back, in true style - oh dont worry I'll be dead by then!

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I did watch it, but unfortunately missed the bit where Elizabeth was in hospital, was it the holes in the garden that caused her to fall?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
If any programme deserves an award that one does, Glenda Jackson was outstanding. Had to smile when her daughter was talking about her brother who appears a couple of times a year and yet is thought of so highly - must ring a lot of bells with people, it did with me

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
'Elizabeth Is Missing' was excellent but at the end I found myself diving for my radio times to see if there was another episode but to my disappointment there isn't. I was reminded of dad in the earlier stages when he tried to communicate a message that I didn't always understand.

MaNaAk

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
at the end I found myself diving for my radio times to see if there was another episode
I too found myself going 'is that it?' when it ended. I suppose they'd told their tale and wrapped that up neatly, and it was a drama, so it's hard to complain. And without that narrative framework there'd have been nothing to hang the portrayal of a life gone haywire from.

But oh for another couple of episodes set further down the line to illustrate the harsh truth of further decline! Whether it would have made good entertainment is a different matter.

Still, we got something that cast light on an important subject and told a story. Hopefully it kept enough people interested to spread the word beyond the usual audience for dementia-related subject matter.

I was a bit sad that i didn't find anyone in the hospital today who'd watched it apart from one of the elderly volunteers who overheard me mention it. But I guess if I was working in healthcare every day I'd be more inclined to veg out to I'm a Celebrity than watch something which looked like hard work or homework.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
I too found myself going 'is that it?' when it ended. I suppose they'd told their tale and wrapped that up neatly, and it was a drama, so it's hard to complain. And without that narrative framework there'd have been nothing to hang the portrayal of a life gone haywire from.

But oh for another couple of episodes set further down the line to illustrate the harsh truth of further decline! Whether it would have made good entertainment is a different matter.

Still, we got something that cast light on an important subject and told a story. Hopefully it kept enough people interested to spread the word beyond the usual audience for dementia-related subject matter.

I was a bit sad that i didn't find anyone in the hospital today who'd watched it apart from one of the elderly volunteers who overheard me mention it. But I guess if I was working in healthcare every day I'd be more inclined to veg out to I'm a Celebrity than watch something which looked like hard work or homework.
What an amazing and truly moving drama , this should be screened after every rubbish political broadcast to reflect the true tragedy we are all going through on here . I also think it should be screened on Christmas Day I know few people will want that chance to forget and celebrate but this disease doesn’t take time off . We must remember the bigger picture . I for one will be watching it again and again .

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
What an amazing and truly moving drama , this should be screened after every rubbish political broadcast to reflect the true tragedy we are all going through on here . I also think it should be screened on Christmas Day I know few people will want that chance to forget and celebrate but this disease doesn’t take time off . We must remember the bigger picture . I for one will be watching it again and again .

Can I suggest this post is also put on your other forums , specially for those that are new to this site and this rollercoaster of a journey . It really is compelling viewing and an insight into the daily task of being a family unit with this disease chipping away at all levels .

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi Lady A, for info - it is being streamed from other sources on YouTube (not just BBC i-Player).

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Just watched Elizabeth is missing. Wish I had seen it when my OH was still at home as I might have understood better what sort of things were going on in his head.i know everybody with dementia is different but the programme shows so well the difficulties they have to cope with trying to understand what is happening to them and sorting out the real and the imagined. The horror they feel when they realise they didn’t recognise someone close. That happened to my OH and he was so distressed when he realised he hadn’t known me and kept apologising and crying. A very clever and well done programme and I am glad I watched it even if it did reduce me to tears.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Jean1234, that must have been so difficult watching. If it is any solace I'm sure most of the forum were crying too.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My Partner, Pauline, (PWD) and I have just watched our recording of it and yes, very powerful and brilliantly acted. When we had finished I went to make us a cuppa and returned to chat about it but Pauline had started watching a previously recorded episode of Classic Eastenders and too engrossed to get her to talk. Maybe later?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I watched it and thought it was very good. I noticed the daughters face as she closed the door after she let the brother in and Maude was so delighted to see him. I have had that face before and then turned around with a smile for dad. Know it well.

Very well acted and a great improvement on the one that was on sometime ago staring Sheridan Smith which did had nowhere near the depth that 'Elizabeth is missing' did.

Oh yes and the delicate old fingers trying to pick up a small thing so reminded me of dad.

Pink-geranium

Nov 27, 2019
london
I watched it and thought it was very good. I noticed the daughters face as she closed the door after she let the brother in and Maude was so delighted to see him.

I thought it was excellent. Wonderfully acted. So good that it was the old, demented person who was the heroine and proved right.