I

Chalkie

Jan 19, 2018
I have dementia but I live every day for itself. There are opportunities for laughter (often at myself) and opportunities for joy - sunshine, bird song, TV, music, a cuddle.. It's easy to become bogged down with the awfulness of dementia but there are still moments to treasure and, hopefully, to remember, if even for just a short time.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Bless you. X
My life motto is .. Dance like no ones watching! can sometimes surprise the postie or neighbours !! :eek:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
@Chalkie, that’s a wonderfully positive attitude, I used to tell my husband it’s not what you can’t do, it’s what you can do we will think about and use in our life. We had lots of tears but we also had lots of laughter and looked for the sun behind every cloud. Well done.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Bless you @Chalkie

My dad was always happy in his dementia so maybe you will be too. We had lots of happy times too.

The kids at his school used to call him Chalkie (but not to his face :eek:)

29Wilkia29

Nov 12, 2019
Leeds
Glad to hear the better side of this awful disease. I think (myself included) we all speak of the negatives , especially here because it's a safe place. My OH with alzheimer's is great fun more often than not . It's probably me that needs to give my head a wobble from time to time. He has told people he has alzheimers but at least he hasn't got dementia because that's far worse. It keeps him going .keep up the good work

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I completely agree @Chalkie - my husband felt exactly the same once the diagnosis was out the way.

We concentrated on what could be done rather than what couldn't - and we adapted to different situations as they arose. We had many lovely times along the way.

You have a great attitude and that is the best way forward :)

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Same here @Chalkie I seem to cope better emotionally now with my dementia than I did 18mths ago when I was diagnosed. I rarely cry now & I always try to see the positives in everything.
Keep up the great work, we have to take the good with the bad & live life to the full :)

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
Hi @Chalkie.. Read your post to my OH who has Lewy body dementia.. When he feels down it helps to reinforce that there are good moments to cling to.. Thank you and love xxxxx

Tea and. toast

May 8, 2019
Thank you Chalkie I will take a leaf from your book. Sometimes the caring gets in the way of life. I try to make positive moments for Dad. Took him to his old club on Monday and the guys were pleased to see him and bought him a brandy.