Help..LPA and moving care between counties

MelS

Dec 5, 2019
My Dad was diagnosed with Alzeimer's at the beginning of the year but has declined rapidly. He has moved counties since being diagnosed and 'lost' in the system of being assessed. I have had no advice about LPA and although I have had the forms filled in for months, my Dad cannot now sign them without a witness (Drs) if the Drs agree to do this (at a charge). Has anyone else been in this situation?

Unusually, he lives with a carer in the carers home but the carer is finding it increasingly more difficult. They live in a different county to me about 60miles away and I would like to look into moving him to a care home nearer to me but I am not sure how this will go. I have eventually managed to get an assessment for him in a couple of weeks which I am hoping will get the ball rolling but I fear from conversations I have had with varying agencies that they want him to stay at home rather than be placed in a home. I realise this is to do with funding as always. What would happen if the carer said he couldn't cope with Dad anymore, is there emergency situation for this?

I am really stressing about it all, like I said, I don't live nearby but try to get to see him every couple of weeks and speak to him every other day, although this is getting more and more difficult as his conversations make no sense or he forgets I'm on the phone and doesn't speak at all. I have a brother who is a liability and as much help as a chocolate teapot, dad has no other family and mum passed 2 years ago. Any advice will be greatly received. Thank you

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
If he's had a diagnosis it doesn't matter too much that he's moving around, as it will be on his NHS records wherever he goes to live.

If you need Social Services to provide the funding for his care, and the carer he lives with can no longer cope and wants him to leave, he will effectively have no home, so SS will have to find a placement for him. If the carer is already at that stage, you should get the ball rolling by calling SS Adult Services in his area. I think you are right, there are additional complications if you want him to move counties but the most pressing thing is to get things started.

If he's self funding, it's far easier. I moved my mother to a different county (near me) two years ago and there have been no problems because she's funding it.

MelS

Dec 5, 2019
If he's had a diagnosis it doesn't matter too much that he's moving around, as it will be on his NHS records wherever he goes to live.

If you need Social Services to provide the funding for his care, and the carer he lives with can no longer cope and wants him to leave, he will effectively have no home, so SS will have to find a placement for him. If the carer is already at that stage, you should get the ball rolling by calling SS Adult Services in his area. I think you are right, there are additional complications if you want him to move counties but the most pressing thing is to get things started.

If he's self funding, it's far easier. I moved my mother to a different county (near me) two years ago and there have been no problems because she's funding it.

Thank you for your message. We have an assessment next week with the Dementia team, once that has happened I will get on to the SS. Thank you again for taking the time to read and reply.

AshestoAshes

Aug 10, 2019
Hello @MelS, I moved my dad from one county to another to get him into a care home near me. He had been in his own home with carers coming in 4x a day but even that wasn't enough. It was when he had another fall and was admitted to hospital that I was able to get social services to agree that he couldn't continue at home. Sometimes a crisis can be helpful in that respect. Would your dad's carer be willing to say to social services that things have reached a point where he can't go on housing and caring for your dad?
I assume your dad doesn't have a property to be sold? My dad did and I had to speak to his current area's adult social services to get them to initially agree to fund his move into a care home. Once his house is sold he will be self-funding and when the money runs out, I will need to contact adult social services in his new area to get them to pick up the bill. I would advise you to speak to adult ss where he is now, tell them you think he needs to move to a care home and ask for an appointment with someone from their financial section to talk it through with you. They were very helpful with me.
Re the LPA, would the doctors sign it now as long as you paid the fee for this? If so, then i would definitely do that asap as then it's done and it's worth the money. I would speak to them anyway if not, tell them about the delays and problems in the system and ask for help.
Happy to talk more about this if it's helpful though some aspects of the situation may differ.