UTIs, seizures and hospital

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
In my area it's the community nurses that deal with all things catheter. I would speak to them as the night bags you have are most likely 2ltr but you can get 3ltr ones if you can stop the night time disconnects.

cuppatea

Oct 28, 2016
South Wales
Yes thought I'd mentioned about the niight bag needing to be emptied during the night. So glad you've got the prophylactic antibiotics, I keep asking about them but have failed to get them. Have you managed to extend the respite to give you more time to decide? Hope so x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I have just started seeing a counsellor. I am hoping that I will gain some coping skills.

I know that people have mentioned whether it is time for permanent residence, but I really and truly dont think that SS will go for it. He needs help with showering, his walking is becoming harder and the catheter is a biggie, but apart from that its just that he cant do the things he used to. He has become compliant, still able to dress and feed himself; he is very aware of his surroundings, doesnt get muddled about where or when he is, doesnt get lost, knows who I am, sleeps at night. If only I could get the catheter sorted it would be fine.

The urine output isnt high if you look at it over 24 hrs @DesperateofDevon - its just that it is almost all produced overnight.
Yes @RosettaT , He has 2 litre night bags. I didnt know that you could get 3 litre ones. Thank you

I have to decide whether to extend the respite by Monday.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have just started seeing a counsellor. I am hoping that I will gain some coping skills.

I know that people have mentioned whether it is time for permanent residence, but I really and truly dont think that SS will go for it. He needs help with showering, his walking is becoming harder and the catheter is a biggie, but apart from that its just that he cant do the things he used to. He has become compliant, still able to dress and feed himself; he is very aware of his surroundings, doesnt get muddled about where or when he is, doesnt get lost, knows who I am, sleeps at night. If only I could get the catheter sorted it would be fine.

The urine output isnt high if you look at it over 24 hrs @DesperateofDevon - its just that it is almost all produced overnight.
Yes @RosettaT , He has 2 litre night bags. I didnt know that you could get 3 litre ones. Thank you

I have to decide whether to extend the respite by Monday.

I think that perhaps extending the respite is a good idea while you get you back on track. Counselling is a positive step, you have had so much to deal with, I hope it helps you process everything.
This night time urination high output, It seems a common issue with PWD both Mum & Dad have most of their urine output at night & that raises issues.
I hope you get the catheter issues ironed out soon. Take care lovely
Xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im having a bad couple of days here.
I also have to get up for a 9.00am appt tomorrow. Normally I would be up long before this, but Im finding mornings hard, at the moment.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
((((((hugs)))))) @canary

I know what it's like to lose motivation to do anything. I hope you can get to your appointment on time. Shame it's so early.

Hopefully your mood will lift soon.
I think this time of year is particularly difficult when things are not going well.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Im having a bad couple of days here.
I also have to get up for a 9.00am appt tomorrow. Normally I would be up long before this, but Im finding mornings hard, at the moment.
Oh lovely lady you need to look after you for a bit. Please take care
(((((((((((((((Big hugs)))))))))))))))
& love
Xx

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
Oh @canary I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I don’t know what to say because like most of us you’ve probably tried everything and are doing your best

Quizbunny

Nov 20, 2011
@canary I have seen the good advice that you have given over the years that I have been a part of TP, and am sure that you would be advising caution here.
Do not rush to a decision. You are at a low ebb and need to recover your strength before you are able to make any sort of decision about the future.
Your OH is safe and being looked after. Now is the time to look after yourself. As for SS not ‘Going for’ residential care, you know that you cannot be forced to look after an adult. You may decide you want to, but that should be your decision not one thrust upon you because you have no choice. Extend respite and make full use of the opportunity to think things through.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thinking of you @canary. Hope your appointment goes well. As others have said you have given such good advice over the years, which I for one have really appreciated.
I think I'd kick the decision about your husband coming down as far down the road as you can, you need a chance to get better yourself first.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my head is swimming!This mornings journey was worse than expected.
It was 4 miles from my house to the nearby town where my 9.00am appt was. I went by car and, aware that it was during rush hour and the route passed several schools, I allowed 45 mins to get there (normally takes just under 15 mins).
The first 2.5 miles was fines, but once I got to the town all the roads were completely log-jammed with cars. I tried to avoid it by going through the back roads, but I think everyone else had the same idea :eek:. I phoned through to say I was going to be late and could I still be seen and was told that everyone else had been held up too. It eventually took me just under an hour and a half to do the 4 mile journey!!!
By this time I was in a right two and eight and because I got ushered straight in to see the doctor I forgot to switch off my mobile which promptly went off during the consultation :oops::oops:. Came out of there with a fist full of literature (about mental health services) and got a phone call from the lady at Carers Support. I was very glad that she phoned as she always gives me good feedback about what I am considering, but by then I had brain overload. I drove straight round to a friend who had invited me over for lunch because by this time I was running late, but by driving direct made it on time.
Had a lovely leisurely lunch chatting and catching up, then got home to find a message on my answerphone from OHs care home wanting to know if I was joining them for their Christmas party on Thursday (I said yes). I told them I wanted to extend OHs respite to the middle of January and it has been booked :D
Finally made myself a much needed cup of coffee and the phone rand again, this time from the GPs surgery saying that I needed to book OH and my flu jab.

I hope thats it for today. Im going to visit OH tomorrow and hope its not going to be so hectic.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
It was 4 miles from my house to the nearby town where my 9.00am appt was. I went by car and, aware that it was during rush hour and the route passed several schools, I allowed 45 mins to get there (normally takes just under 15 mins).
The first 2.5 miles was fines, but once I got to the town all the roads were completely log-jammed with cars. I tried to avoid it by going through the back roads, but I think everyone else had the same idea :eek:. I phoned through to say I was going to be late and could I still be seen and was told that everyone else had been held up too. It eventually took me just under an hour and a half to do the 4 mile journey!!!
By this time I was in a right two and eight and because I got ushered straight in to see the doctor I forgot to switch off my mobile which promptly went off during the consultation :oops::oops:. Came out of there with a fist full of literature (about mental health services) and got a phone call from the lady at Carers Support. I was very glad that she phoned as she always gives me good feedback about what I am considering, but by then I had brain overload. I drove straight round to a friend who had invited me over for lunch because by this time I was running late, but by driving direct made it on time.
Had a lovely leisurely lunch chatting and catching up, then got home to find a message on my answerphone from OHs care home wanting to know if I was joining them for their Christmas party on Thursday (I said yes). I told them I wanted to extend OHs respite to the middle of January and it has been booked :D
Finally made myself a much needed cup of coffee and the phone rand again, this time from the GPs surgery saying that I needed to book OH and my flu jab.

I hope thats it for today. Im going to visit OH tomorrow and hope its not going to be so hectic.

Well done @canary and now put your feet up for a well deserved rest. I am glad you have extended respite for your OH as you need time to sort yourself out. Hope your visit tomorrow is lovely and calm.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

I think you have been sensible in dealing with life’s curve balls! Of which recently there have been many!

take care xx

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
What a busy day @canary - but productive. Glad to hear you have extended respite, it will give you some time and space to process everything. As others have said, you have given others such good advice here over the years, think about what you'd say to another member in your position. Hope you enjoy the Christmas party :)

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Good lord Canary, don't know about your head spinning:eek:, but mine is spinning just reading about your day. I hope that you can now sit back and sort things through at your own pace (perhaps whilst enjoying a cuppa,or something stronger, and a mince pie:D. Take care

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27