Elizabeth Is Missing

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Don't forget 'Elizabeth Is Missing' on BBC1 on Sunday at 9.00 pm with Glenda Jackson. I hope to be able to see it.

MaNaAk

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I saw the trailer for it - it looks good. Thank you for the reminder.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Some info

80-year-old Maud is funny, loyal and endearing. She is also living with dementia, which plays havoc with her memory but hasn’t yet diminished her strong stubborn streak. When her best friend Elizabeth fails to turn up for a shopping trip, Maud is certain something terrible has happened. Turning detective, she sets about trying to solve the mystery of her friend’s disappearance. But with Maud's dementia progressing, it is not easy to hold on to the clues. Despite her meticulous system of recording her discoveries on post-it notes, she can’t shake the feeling that she has lost a crucial clue that would unlock the mystery of Elizabeth’s fate.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I am really hoping they bring this out on dvd. I've never had tv, and don't use any streaming services either. But the book of this is so good, and so instructive too about the world of someone with dementia, that I really want to see this.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I've only been home for ten minutes after another disappointing day watching folk get 'kindly' neglected in hospital, but this has already made me cry a bit.

Ok, I'm knackered, but Glenda Jackson reminds me why I'm doing what I do. And the daughter has already given a rant we all know so very well. I'm going to catch up on the first hour later, but I can't stop watching this now.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
I have cried all the way through. Tormented minds, sheer hell with no way out. I pray for everyone xx

leslyz

Oct 24, 2015
Painful, poignant, heartbreaking - like a mirror. Couldn't stop watching, so beautifully acted but not an easy watch.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
A very powerful drama that was absolutely heart breaking watch, it revealed the dreadful impact of dementia on many different levels.

Stripey3

May 29, 2019
OMG what a great drama, powerful, moving and absolutely heartbreaking. I cried throughout and still am crying.
Such a wretched and cruel disease...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Brilliant !! Captured the volatility of pwd and how their world changes so quickly from one moment to the next. A few scenarios that reminded me of mum and the more difficult moments we had especially the 'this is my home, get out' as well as others . I also liked the fact that Maud was trying to tell everyone something, but she just couldn't articulate it until her daughter finally twigged.

Very moving and made me think of mum wandering for miles trying to get 'home'

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I lost my Mum 3 years ago and even though the depiction wasn't like my mother in many respects as dementia is unique to the person in the way it displays, the faithful characterisation of how someone with the illness could act, reminded me of how it had been. I couldn't help crying at the point where the daughter shouted at her mother - I felt so sorry for the Glenda Jackson character but realised the frustration and torment of her family too.

Also sad to see Glenda Jackson age when I remember her from "Women in Love" and many other films.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
II couldn't help crying at the point where the daughter shouted at her mother.
You weren't the only one. It's so hard watching someone -- even a fictional character -- make the same mistakes you've made (and may make again and again) yourself. It hurts more somehow because Glenda's acting is so authentic and detailed and heartbreaking. I burst into tears again when she was wandering through the park swinging her bag in the same way my Mum used to.

The shittiest thing about working my way through the first hour, as I am now, is that it's making me want my mother back when she was 'only' as broken as Glenda's stage. It's easier now (give or take the odd 180 hours and counting at her hospital bedside) but... there was so much more spirit in that earlier, angrier, frustrated version.

But she's more at peace with her existence now. I should be grateful for that. I am grateful for that.

Grief, this drama opened a can of emotional worms, didn't it. A good, if uncomfortable, sign.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Was anyone else brave enough to watch this last night? I did and it affected me profoundly. I thought Glenda Jackson's portrayal of the Mum was spot on - so true to life that it was heartbreaking. I,m hoping that many people watched it and it will lead to a better understanding of what Living with Dementia is like for the PWD and their family carers.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Looking forward to it, I have read the book. I am following how Casualty is deal with dementia too. Last Saturday was a bit unrealistic for most of us but will see how it pans out.

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
Elizabeth is missing was really well written. The main character was well portrayed by Glenda Jackson. he way the events played out showed the working of a confused mind really well. I am going to get the book as I bet its a good read too.

Looking forward to it, I have read the book. I am following how Casualty is deal with dementia too. Last Saturday was a bit unrealistic for most of us but will see how it pans out.

I hadn't watch Casualty for many years but heard about Duffy's character having Dementia so did a back to back watch on iplayer. I am not up to date yet. But so far thought it made a change to see dementia portrayed at this level. Where the character has capacity and she was still able to have work. ..although not at the level she previously did. It will indeed be interesting to see how they follow this on.
My PwD does an afternoon at a local Oxfam charity shop. They have trained volunteers that mentor those that want to volunteer but need some support. He really enjoys it and calls it 'Going to work'. It gives him purpose and makes him feel useful as well as a chance to be out with others and not having to have me tag along. A little bit of a sort of independence. He gets a lot from it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1