Easy Change Clothing

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello,

Now that Dad's dementia's progressed we're starting to struggle to change his tops - his arms are stiff and he doesn't really sit upright very well any more.

I was just going to buy him larger size stuff so it's not so fiddly, but thought I'd pop on here to see if anyone had any clothing advice? Thank you! x

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello,

Now that Dad's dementia's progressed we're starting to struggle to change his tops - his arms are stiff and he doesn't really sit upright very well any more.

I was just going to buy him larger size stuff so it's not so fiddly, but thought I'd pop on here to see if anyone had any clothing advice? Thank you! x
Larger size is good and also tops that just pop over the head. Otherwise you could end up fighting to get the top on as the dementia progresses people don’t always understand things like bend forward or sit back.. The less fiddly the better.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You can get back fastening clothing which makes it easier to put on.

It is quite expensive, so if you are at all handy (and have the time!!!) you can cut a larger shirt/poloshirt/etc up the back, neaten and add velcro bits to fasten it.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I find it's easier to get tops over his head rather than try to get something like a shirt on him. Tops with short zips (beware of his nose when removing them) or 3 - 4 buttons help because the neck opening is wider. My OH wears things with give in them like sweatshirts or jumpers that will stretch.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you @TNJJ @canary @RosettaT :) Just trying to stay ahead of everything - feels like chasing my tail a bit. Once we're on top of one thing, there's another thing to worry about!

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I know that feeling. My mum had dementia for 20 yrs, just when you thought you had solved a problem she would find a way of thwarting it, I always said she could be usefully employed by MI6 gadget testing.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
For a good few years we managed with a variety of loose tops that just pulled on over the head (jumpers, t-shirts, polo tops, sweatshirts etc) but as things progressed it became more and more difficult to get these on and off my husband as he would tense and stiffen his arms.

He wasn't being deliberately obstructive - he just didn't know how to relax his arms any more.

At this stage I changed to using long and short sleeved button up shirts - and instead of jumpers we used zip up cardigans.

Of course my husband was not able to do up buttons and zips - but we had long since reached the stage where I was helping him dress/undress anyway, so it was of little concern.

I do know that it made dressing/undressing much less stressful for him as we could finally say goodbye to the battle of getting him out of his tops without his head getting covered by clothing and causing temporary panic, which was invariably the case until we made the swap.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@RosettaT @DesperateofDevon - haha that made me giggle too. Thank you for the smile. Needed it today :) (has been one of those days! we are currently now waiting for an out of hours doctor as dad's wheezing has relapsed and he's barely opened his eyes all day. fingers crossed the doc gets here soon.)

@LynneMcV funnily enough it's not the going over the head that dad minds particularly, it's just how he tenses up and holds his arms so sleeves aren't easy. I'm always terrified of hurting him. :( i think you're right - looser the better!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@RosettaT @DesperateofDevon - haha that made me giggle too. Thank you for the smile. Needed it today :) (has been one of those days! we are currently now waiting for an out of hours doctor as dad's wheezing has relapsed and he's barely opened his eyes all day. fingers crossed the doc gets here soon.)

@LynneMcV funnily enough it's not the going over the head that dad minds particularly, it's just how he tenses up and holds his arms so sleeves aren't easy. I'm always terrified of hurting him. :( i think you're right - looser the better!
Hope things get resolved
Xx

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I think there is something called the Able Label - clothing for people with dementia and disabilities, that has tops that are easy on and off and have poppers on the sleeves I think. Marks and Spencers do great smart elasticated waist trousers and sweatshirts - especially Cotton Traders we have found hard wearing.