Advice on bringing dad Home from hospital

Trottie

Oct 18, 2019
Dad has been in hospital fo 10 days after a fall, he then became very poorly with pneumonia. He is 90 and has vascular dementia but prior to hospital admission wasn’t to bad could make his own lunch and cook a ready meal for tea and was mobile around the house.

His mobility has greatly been affected also his memory the hospital rang today to say he was medically fit and could return home. He lives alone and had a morning and night carer call. I raised my concerns and said I wasn’t able to take him home till Sunday due to work commitments, there is only me no other family.

On visiting the hospital I found dad to have a catheter and the nursing staff telling me he hasn’t passed urine for 24 hours nor emptied his bowel. He has had an enema. The nurse checked his notes and said she didn’t think he was ready for discharge as he couldn’t take himself to the loo and they would need to get OT back to see him.

The social worker from the discharge team says there is no reason for him to stay in hospital. Any advise is welcome I’m not sure how he will cope home alone even if we increase his care package to 4 times a day because toileting seems to be a big issue as well as mobility and I need to work to pay my bills.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Trottie this was my dad back in March except he also had a heart attack followed by a stroke and 3 falls while in hospital for 3 weeks. Dad came home and it is now 24/7 with one of us being there all of the time.

Dad has improved, he can get about with his frame and he can still take himself to the toilet although he has to have directions from me. I don't think he will improve anymore now. Actually I am amazed at how well he has done.

But, and it is a huge but, I don't know how we have coped and it is only going to get worse from now. The fact that toileting is going to be an issue for your dad worries me and I don't see how he could get by with carer's visits.

I think that you should think very carefully before you agree to your dad going home.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Trottie

It sounds as if the nurse is the professional with the better knowledge. I doubt the SW will be able to overrule the medics, even if they are on the discharge team, so wouldn`t worry too much.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Trottie

Last year I refused to let my dad home from hospital after one failed discharge. I knew he wouldn’t be safe on his own as he could no longer walk on his own and nobody was available to be with him 24/7. Even if we had been it would have been too exhausting to look after him.

I got a call from the hospital discharge team saying they’d have to put him on a section 2 if I didn’t take him home...so he was sectioned. This meant that the hospital were responsible for his safety for the next 4 weeks and had to have him assessed properly . He was eventually moved to a carehome where he was assessed again for his suitability to return home with a “suitable care package”. The panel decided to send him home but again I argued and won so if you think your dad won’t manage at home, and it sounds to me as though he won’t, don’t let them send him home.

You may have to dig your heels in..

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1