Toilet issues

Carolino

Dec 4, 2019
Hello my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago, but now we have got to a stage where she is having problems in the bathroom, she is peeing on the floor and not sitting on the toilet, is there any suggestions out there as it is a daily occurrence now and it is getting very stressful, i am her daughter and carer

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Carolino

I’m afraid this is a common problem and I had to deal with this with my dad as well. He had carpet in the bathroom so it was horrible. I managed to contain some of the mess by cutting a disposable pet mat to fit around the toilet and taping it down with double sided tape. Of course we got through several of these a day on a bad day. I covered this with a pedestal mat, again having to use several a day...and loads of washing!

If you could let us have more detail of exactly what she is doing, ( is she not getting there on time or is she not sitting on the toilet properly? ) perhaps someone will be able to suggest something more useful.

Dad was becoming incontinent by this stage so I made him an appointment at the continence clinic and bought him some pads and padded underwear - getting him to wear them wasn’t easy...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It may be that she doesnt know where to "go".
People with more advanced dementia get spacial awareness problems and sight is not interpreted properly. White things often seem to disappear, so she may not actually be able to recognise the toilet (especially if there is a white wall behind it) You could try a coloured toilet seat - red is especially good - to make it easier for her to locate it.

Ultimately, though, you may have to go in with her and direct her in what to do.

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
I went through this with my wife, the solution ultimately was disposable pants and constant prompting to go to the loo before she had an accident. Fortunately we have a tiled floor which makes it easier to clean but I too use the disposable mats on the floor just in case.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Yep the disposable mats are great. Only trouble was my dad wouldn’t leave them there so I had to hide them under a pedestal mat - hence extra washing :confused:

Carolino

Dec 4, 2019
Still having toilet issues with mum she is afraid of the loo itself. Is there anybody that can tell me if the Raised red toilet seats are of any help as thinking of buying one, as i think of what i have been reading that mum may not be seeing the white toilet seat. I am also having issues with her early mornings she gets very scared of something and keeps saying she is not well, but she is unable to tell me what it is, as you all are probably aware trying to understand someone with Dementia can be very hard sometimes. I put music on for her and she seems to forget that she said she was not well and becomes happier, all very confusing for me.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Has your mum had an OT assessment @Carolino ? You should be able to get a referral to an Occupational Therapist through your mum’s GP. They will probably be able to provide something to make your mum feel more secure about going to the loo. My dad was provided with a frame to go around the loo to make it easier for him to get on and off. Dad didn’t like the raised seats. He also used to move the frame into the hall :rolleyes:...as you say it’s very difficult to predict what will work with dementia.

Carolino

Dec 4, 2019
It may be that she doesnt know where to "go".
People with more advanced dementia get spacial awareness problems and sight is not interpreted properly. White things often seem to disappear, so she may not actually be able to recognise the toilet (especially if there is a white wall behind it) You could try a coloured toilet seat - red is especially good - to make it easier for her to locate it.

Ultimately, though, you may have to go in with her and direct her in what to do.
Hi, i have recently bought a raised red toilet seat, and it seems that she does identify it as a toilet, but i think the problem now is she is at that point where she is forgetting how to go to the toilet, basic things forgotten. Its sad to see her like this, but i have to carry on, thank you for the suggestion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet