Nandi

Nandi

Mar 20, 2018
Grimsby
This will be my first Xmas since husband in care home is getting depressed about it normal would like to hear other people's experiences and how they coped.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi Nandi,

I remember feeling very down last year when my dad was due to spend his first Christmas in a carehome. I know it’s different when it’s your life partner but my dad spent every Christmas with my family and it felt wrong to be planning anything without him. The carehome was great and went all out to make Christmas special and we had planned to pop in during Christmas Eve and day to spend sometime with him. Sadly we didn’t as Dad died suddenly 9 days before Christmas Day.

Is there any chance you could have Christmas Lunch with your husband in the home? I know many homes offer this option. I was invited to dad’s homes mid December Christmas do (at no charge to me) but he wasn’t well enough on the day to go so I don’t actually have any experience of Christmas there at all. They did a very nice low key party for his 90th birthday though and the cook made lovely cakes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry you’re feeling so sad but I can understand why. I haven’t been in your situation as I’ve not had anyone in a care home. I think @Bunpoots suggestions are great and perhaps you’ll be able to take up some of them.

I’m sure other members with experience will be along to share how they cope.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Nandi
I did have Christmas lunch with dad for a few years and the staff couldn't have been more welcoming ... they made sure the residents enjoyed the day (each in a suitable way) and it helped seeing how much they themselves enjoyed spoiling everyone
so if you are able to spend the day with your husband I'm sure you'll be more than welcome .... and if you are unable to be there on the day, rest assured your husband will be well catered for