Alternatives to salt and vinegar crisps

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
FiL blocks any change, whatever it is. He has, we think, kidney disease and congestive heart failure, and has been told to severely reduce his fluid intake as he has so much edema. His eating is poor, and he has been surviving on toast and marmite and bags of crisps :eek: presumably this is the change in taste kicking in now.....I would prefer him to have developed the sweet tooth many have, but he is all for strong and salty.

Obviously this is really bad for his heart/kidneys but we're not getting anywhere with substituting something slightly healthier....he'll try it for a couple of weeks then revert back (and we've not got him on kale and quinoa either!) I think I know the answer is that there probably is no answer......at least he's happy even if it increases the chance of a speedy return to hospital. My husband is agonising over 'enabling' him by supplying what he wants, but I think he just won't eat anything if we stop getting them. Im very nutrition conscious but I may be beaten on this......any suggestions anyone? And are we doing the right thing by letting FiL call the shots, rather than force the issue? I feel he needs much more carer time, or even CH but he has capacity, he's just a stubborn old codger who's getting even worse! :rolleyes::mad:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
FiL blocks any change, whatever it is. He has, we think, kidney disease and congestive heart failure, and has been told to severely reduce his fluid intake as he has so much edema. His eating is poor, and he has been surviving on toast and marmite and bags of crisps :eek: presumably this is the change in taste kicking in now.....I would prefer him to have developed the sweet tooth many have, but he is all for strong and salty.

Obviously this is really bad for his heart/kidneys but we're not getting anywhere with substituting something slightly healthier....he'll try it for a couple of weeks then revert back (and we've not got him on kale and quinoa either!) I think I know the answer is that there probably is no answer......at least he's happy even if it increases the chance of a speedy return to hospital. My husband is agonising over 'enabling' him by supplying what he wants, but I think he just won't eat anything if we stop getting them. Im very nutrition conscious but I may be beaten on this......any suggestions anyone? And are we doing the right thing by letting FiL call the shots, rather than force the issue? I feel he needs much more carer time, or even CH but he has capacity, he's just a stubborn old codger who's getting even worse! :rolleyes::mad:
I buy dads food who is diabetic type 2 .Heart failure NYHA stage 3 and also has CKD stage 3b.
He has had a stroke walks with a gutter frame and Vascular Dementia.
He is 86 and doesn’t like change.

He moans like hell if he is given something he doesn’t like.
I don’t bother now. I give him what he wants within reason.
He is in a care home at the moment for respite.
He is eating normal foods and refusing some medication .Also diabetic food.
I’ve told the kitchen not to worry as dad has never stuck to his diabetic or taken any notice of doctors etc.

I would carry on as you are.You are probably correct in that he won’t eat anything if you change it.He might change it himself by getting bored with it..You never know with dementia.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
It's the worst thing when someone undervalues their life and don't care enough or can't see the effect their decision making has on the family.

In the late1980's, my FIL needed a heart valve replacement, which the surgeon wouldn't perform until FIL had lost weight and stopped smoking. He never did stop smoking or diet, despite being aware of the risks and the consternation of the family. Sure enough, MIL came downstairs one morning to find him dead in an armchair. He loved his family but not as much as he loved chips, beer and fags!

The easy option was to bury his head in the sand and pretend everything was ok; I always thought the root cause was sheer fright of having to adapt his lifestyle as well as facing a big operation.

I'm sorry not to have helped with any bright ideas.

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019

Hi I do love salt and vinegar. Crisps but I have found a healthier alternative from marks and Spenser they are salt and vinegar lentil curls they taste amazing but only 84 calories per pack, they are a great alternative and lentils are a good source of protein and fibre try these and see what he thinks it’s worth a try, good luck

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
If you want to make a small change, google 'reduced salt crisps'. He may accept them without really noticing they are different. Otherwise I'd leave it as is.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
mmm pretzels....you can keep crisps but I do love pretzels :D unfortunately FiL thought they were tasteless (with that chunky salt on top? o_O) and won't change his S&V crisps......I think we're going to have to admit defeat on this battle, we need him to eat something.

Of course the bigger battle is to try to get him eating at least some 'proper' food and reasonably often. That's going to mean more carer input.....which is not a battle but a war :( He's already thrown out his 'personal care' carer in the morning on several occasions, and there is no-one who can be there to 'ease in' a carer at dinnertime if we just go ahead and organise it. Stymied either way......:mad: