Nhs Funding being stopped

Nicky 2831

Aug 28, 2017
Hi, I have just found out the NHS have decided to put it forward to stop my Mum's funding as she no longer meets the criteria. Mum has end stage Alzheimer's. Any advice Mum has some money but only enough to last a year. Have been told it would probably be the end of her to move her. Thank you any advice would be helpful. Nicky

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi, I have just found out the NHS have decided to put it forward to stop my Mum's funding as she no longer meets the criteria. Mum has end stage Alzheimer's. Any advice Mum has some money but only enough to last a year. Have been told it would probably be the end of her to move her. Thank you any advice would be helpful. Nicky
Was she on CHC funding and now they have decided to discontinue? (This is not uncommon). I'm wondering what has changed? If your mum runs out of money, the LA would have to take over anyway.
warmest, Kindred.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
Welcome to DTP @Nicky 2831
Is a social worker involved? If so, talk to them about the finance situation.
This happened to my mum she was in CH and deemed end of life by palliative nurse , CHC funding was applied for and fast tracked, it was granted and I was told to find mum NH ASAP as she had days : weeks to live . Found a fabulous NH had a very stressful move as they thought she may not cope with journey . We did it and she settled in with excellent care and nutrition then 3 months to the day she was reviewed and despite being completely bedridden , no movement due to leg contractures , turned 2 hourly due to skin , dependent on all fluid and food intake being staff given , minimal communication etc they decided to withdraw funding. She is below threshold so gets LA funding plus FNC top up . This was a battle as they were not prepared to pay the expensive NH I had found I argued with them that it was on professional guidance that I moved her , not by choice . She is still in NH and alive it seems the reason they withdrew funding was she hadn’t died and not got any worse . She is borderline but I think they set that level knowing you have no chance of success in appealing . You should get a FNC contribution even if your self funding .

Bassetlaw Badge

Oct 30, 2012
Hi, we are in a similar situation. The stress is huge. As self funders we now are trying to find something affordable, but I don't think that exists. When you research care fees the figures banded around seem to be half that of the actual costs......... if anyone can point me in the direction of care under £700 per week I'd be very grateful.

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I have a feeling we may find ourselves facing this. I shall follow with interest. This is the disease that just keeps giving isn’t it

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep