Paying tribute to a wonderful worker

Tea and. toast

May 8, 2019
Hello there
I attended the funeral of our wonderful Dementia Support Worker yesterday who died suddenly a couple of weeks ago. I had wanted to post earlier but didn't want to intrude on the families grief.

I knew of her a little through work but then got in contact with her when Dad was diagnosed with AZ maybe with Lewy Bodies earlier this year.She came to see me at home and listened to what I had to say, what was happening with Dad and one of my siblings( you will know what I mean by that) .She was very practical, down to earth, knowledgeable, human (told me not to worry about the dust), kind ,compassionate, funny, a force to be reckoned with and liked a beer.

I last saw her at a carers meeting a few weeks ago where I talked briefly about the latest things happening with Dad and on a positive note- the Memory walk I did in October.She said email me to arrange another meeting and gave me a copy of the Carers guide book To think that was our last carers meeting with her...

My heart goes out to her family, friends colleagues and all the people with Dememtia and their carers that she supported. She is a huge miss. Still feel a bit shocked and not sure why.

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
She sounds a wonderful, caring person @Tea and. toast - what a shock to all those who knew her.

Of course her loss has hit you. When we are buried deep under the turmoil of our carer roles and someone comes along who simply 'gets it' and completely understands and accepts us, it is a huge relief to have that person there for us if/when we need that extra support. No wonder you feel shocked at her passing.

I am glad you managed to attend the funeral. I am sure everyone there learnt a little more about this lovely person who must have touched so many lives for the better.

Thinking of you.

Tea and. toast

May 8, 2019
Thank you for listening and your thoughts Izzy, Bunpoots Grannie G and LynneMcV. She was a very special person who had things going on in her own life this year too. Her daughter who is expecting, gave a wonderful eulogy about her mother- such a fun loving caring woman who was dedicated to her work with people living with dementia and their carers- giving so much beyond the call of duty . Looking out for us- funny I now include myself ,contributing to strategy work and more. The church was full and some people had to stand. My Mams funeral service was in the same church- a long time ago now and one of the hymns and readings were the same as the ones we chose for Mam. I sing in a choir but have missed a lot of this term as I've been so tired with what has been going on with Dad during October and November. So I had a good sing for her and her family as I won't be taking part in our choir concert .

You are so right LynneMcV she was accepting of Dad and myself. Took us as she found us. One of the things she suggested doing was like Forest Gumps box of chocolates. What would be helpful for Dad and I from Adult social care and family or doing things to take your mind from caring. I've still got the piece of paper. Amongst other things we talked about was one of my siblings making time for Dad and for me to have time out. Still not resolved that whereas my other sibling is more supportive and sees Dad. Sorry I digress.

I think how one week I had seen her at a carers meeting and two or so weeks later she had died was a shock and made me think about my own mortality as she was only a few years older than me and no age.I just feel so sad for her family and everyone she worked with. Thanks for listening.