We had the best of times. We had the worst of times.

Nigel_2172

Aug 8, 2017
Shropshire
I haven't been a big user of the forum but have gained a lot of very useful information and support from it over the last few years.
On Wednesday, my wonderful wife, Yvonne, passed away after a nine year decline with dementia resulting from a rare condition, Cadasil, which causes breakdown of the small blood vessels in the white matter of the brain. She was five days short of her 66th birthday and a week on from our twelfth wedding anniversary having met in Peru in 2006. Five years ago, we had to leave her second floor flat and move into my bungalow when she became unable to walk or even stand. She had been beautifully cared for in a nursing home for 18 months, unable to talk for 12 months and bedridden for the last 6. The end was very peaceful and the staff at the home left me alone with her during her last hour and I felt it a real privilege to be able to hold her hand and give her hugs right to the end - so much love surrounding her. Despite having gone on to her next adventure, her light is shining brightly through the tears.
Nigel

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Sad news @Nigel_2172
Your post is full of love for your wonderful wife
She has now found peace and I hope there's comfort for you in being with her
My condolences

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Sending much sympathy to you Nigel, it sounds as if Yvonne had a peaceful and dignified passing and how comforting that you were able to be with her.
xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a poignant post @Nigel_2172. Your love for your wife shines through.

I’m sorry for your loss and wish you strength for the days and weeks to come.

Nigel_2172

Aug 8, 2017
Shropshire
Today has been a tough one. It's my wonderful Yvonne's birthday and instead of celebrations and cake, we have been spent the day rushing about with death certificates, visiting the Register Office and arranging her funeral. We have however, I hope, organised a real celebration of everything that makes up this lovely lady. Really tough day with lots of tears but thankfully plenty of good memories to laugh about in between. A real day of bonding.

NIKNOK

Aug 27, 2018
I’m so sorry for your loss of your beautiful wife .... now at peace.

Condolences to you ❤️❤️

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I'm so sorry Nigel, I simply can't say how much I hate this horrible disgusting disease but it can't diminish your love and bravery that shines through, I wish you strength.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am sorry for your loss @Nigel_2172 - Yvonne sounds a wonderful lady and your love for her shines through.

It is a very difficult situation for you to be facing with your wedding anniversary and your wife's birthday being so close - and then Christmas and New Year looming fast with many people in party mode.

I am glad that, although it has been a tough and emotional day, it has also been a day of shared happy memories and bonding.

Thinking of you and sending you thoughts of strength as you make the necessary preparations. I am sure you will do Yvonne proud and celebrate her life in the most perfect of ways.

Nigel_2172

Aug 8, 2017
Shropshire
Sorry I haven't been back to thank you all for your kind messages.

We finally held the funeral and celebration for Yvonne's life on Monday. It really was a wonderful though very difficult day but I'm sure she would have approved. Her son, daughter and son=in-law helped me to carry the beautifully decorated willow coffin into the crematorium where the service was led by one of her longest-standing friends. About seventy of our friends joined us to make a lovely day in the circumstances. We had made up a book of memories to which loads of friends added their own reminisces, making a lovely record.

While Yvonne is busy trying to get the hang of her new wings (which I'm sure she will work at and master as she did with anything she tried), I feel that I must do my part and try to move on whilst always remembering and being thankful for having had the privilege of sharing the last thirteen years with this most wonderful person and am just glad that I was able to be there with her at the end.