Caring For PWD with FLU

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
Hi everyone, my wife has Alzheimers. I had what I think is a dose of flu last week, hacking cough, aching limbs, headachy and extreme tiredness. I'm just about over it but my wife came down with it on Thursday and it seems to have had quite an extreme affect on her.

She has eaten little and in the last couple of days her normal day to day confusion and coordination has become much worse. She went to bed about 9.00 last night and has slept through most of today so far. I did manage to get her up to change her disposable pants about 11.00 this morning, but she is very hostile towards me and has refused any medication, food and fluids today.

I wondered if anyone had any tips for dealing with this situation, is it best to just let her sleep, I'm starting to get a bit concerned about letting her go much longer before she has something to drink.

Thanks for reading.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
If she becomes dehydrated she is at risk of a urine infection, which will in turn make her more confused. It could be that she already has an infection, which is why she is more confused and hostile. Is your GP usually helpful? I would call and see what they suggest.

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
If she becomes dehydrated she is at risk of a urine infection, which will in turn make her more confused. It could be that she already has an infection, which is why she is more confused and hostile. Is your GP usually helpful? I would call and see what they suggest.
Thanks Sirena, funnily enough I have just been through and she has just drunk a little which is good. I've phoned the GP and they've asked me to call back first thing if nothing has changed.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I would suggest fluids and rest. My OH had a chest infection in January this year, and running around trying to find something she would drink was hard work. She accepted fizzy drinks thankfully. Not much help if your wife won't accept any fluids, but just wanted to offer some sympathy for what it is worth. You will need respite care when it is over though, I did.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Try Lucozade in the old big orange bottle if they still do those!). My mum remembered that from younger days and would drink/sip it.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
You could try jelly, it's a good way to get fluid into someone if she would take it or tinned fruit, both were recommended to me by the hospital.

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
Thanks for your suggestions, my wife is a little better this morning and a bit more receptive to drinking, orange and pineapple squash seems to go down well. She has largely ben asleep since Sunday evening, hopefully today she'll have life in her. Never thought of Lucozade, there was always a glass on by the bedside if I was ill when I was little. Jelly too sounds a good idea especially if she is finding it difficult to swallow.

Managed to change her disposables but also need to get her into the shower before her skin becomes sore. Not sure how that will work out. Thanks for your replies.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan