Don’t know what to do

Trottie

Oct 18, 2019
I’m new here dad has had vascular dementia for a year but managed well. He had a fall on Tuesday ending with him in hospital. His haemoglobin levels were very low so had 2 units of blood. He has now got pneumonia and for the past two days hasn’t slept but is constantly talking to people who aren’t there. He has become very agitated. I’ve asked for a sleeping tablet but hospital day it is to risky because if he gets up he will be groggy. He can’t stand up on his own at the best of times I don’t know what to do they ring me to sit with him but won’t seem to help

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello @Trottie and welcome. Sorry to hear your dad is so ill. Any kind of infection will make symptoms more exaggerated, which could account for the hallucinations and agitation. And of course, for a person with dementia, hospital can be a very disorienting, frightening place. Hopefully, things will improve as antibiotics deal with the infection.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum. Hospitals are really not good environments for those with dementia so hopefully your dad will soon be deemed medically fit for discharge and won't need to be there too long. Infections can play havoc in those with dementia so this may explain the agitation and talking to people who aren't there. I would suggest that you ask to speak to your dad's consultant so that they can talk you through his current health problems and explain what they are doing to manage his condition. Also mention the fact that staff are phoning you to sit with him as although sometimes staffing levels are low they should have considered putting a plan in place to ensure that staff can sit with your dad if you are not there. Hopefully they have ruled out pain as a potential cause of his agitation? When Mum was in hospital I found the dementia team were really helpful and supportive so ask if there is a dementia team in your dad's hospital who you could talk to.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Trottie. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Falls and infections are quite serious for people with dementia and seem to increase confusion to an unmanageable level.

I understand the hospital not wanting to sedate your dad in case he falls again. I wouldn`t be surprised if he is too weak to get himself out of bed but he does deserve something to ease the agitation.

If you have time to sit with him perhaps the hospital will agree to prescribe something to calm him down.

Trottie

Oct 18, 2019
Welcome to the forum. Hospitals are really not good environments for those with dementia so hopefully your dad will soon be deemed medically fit for discharge and won't need to be there too long. Infections can play havoc in those with dementia so this may explain the agitation and talking to people who aren't there. I would suggest that you ask to speak to your dad's consultant so that they can talk you through his current health problems and explain what they are doing to manage his condition. Also mention the fact that staff are phoning you to sit with him as although sometimes staffing levels are low they should have considered putting a plan in place to ensure that staff can sit with your dad if you are not there. Hopefully they have ruled out pain as a potential cause of his agitation? When Mum was in hospital I found the dementia team were really helpful and supportive so ask if there is a dementia team in your dad's hospital who you could talk to.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am exhausted I have mum in a psychiatric unit also. Dad is very unwell and frail I know they are short staffed but nobody is available to speak to you. They’ve now put him on a water tablet and he is setting himself every 20 minutes. I’ve told them the heart consult said he was to have only half dose and they’ve said he’ll have to wait until Monday

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @Trottie

I’m sorry to hear your dad is so poorly and I think it’s very unfair of the hospital staff to expect you to pitch in and help. I had trouble finding anyone to speak to when my dad was in hospital so I rand the NHS Pals service who managed to find out for me what was going on. Might be worth a try.
I’m not sure if they’re available at weekends though.

I hope the antibiotics kick in soon and your dad is more settled. I hope the nurses have him in pads to keep him more comfortable if he’s needing to wee all the time. I remember my dad having water tablets at a high dose...it wasn’t good :confused:..

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Worth knowing that ‘water tablets’ can also muck up electrolyte levels so if potassium levels drop then that can also add to confusion; rock and hard place...
Thinking of you - hospitals at weekends anyway let alone with PWD suffering from all sorts is a nightmare. Wishing you strength. Xx

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi Trottie,
Could be just me, but I find no-one seems to want to help in the hospital if there is someone there to do things for them, or if they are quiet enough to be ignored, or is that just the cynical me talking? Actually I've had carers from an agency somewhat like that too, so perhaps I'm just being realistic.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I agree with Chrissie that if you go and sit with him to quieten him down they will be very happy to leave you to it. If he causes problems that they have to deal with themselves, they are more likely to find a solution. Good suggestions from other members, I hope you manage to speak to a doctor today.

Trottie

Oct 18, 2019
Thanks for all your replies dad was finally given sedatives after 3 days of agitation. He had a good nights sleep and was a different person yesterday. He’s still poorly and weak but able to hold a conversation with us. I wish they would listen to relatives in the first place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA