Risperidone and Care Home

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Mum has been in a care home for a two week trial leading to a permanent placement
This has now been extended for an extra well as they are concerned about her anxiety levels and aggression couple with her erratic blood sugars levels due to her diabetes (type 1)
They started her yesterday in Risperidone in syrup format 0.5 mg morning and evening
How long can this take to work
Mum didn’t sleep a wink on Thursday night but slept well last night but was still anxious this morning when I spoke to the home
I have a meeting at 10 on Friday to see if they plan to keep her
They have said they will if she anxiety levels reduce and blood sugars regulate
Any comments really appreciated
I don’t know what to do as it is a lovely home

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH is currently in respite in a lovely care home, but I know that if he required a permanent place it would not be suitable as they would not be able to meet his needs once the dementia progressed.

I hope that the risperidone works (Im afraid I dont know how long it takes) and his anxiety and resulting aggression reduce, but the important thing is to make sure that our PWDs are safe and properly cared for. Its not fair on anyone if we try and keep them somewhere where their needs cannot be met

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
My OH is currently in respite in a lovely care home, but I know that if he required a permanent place it would not be suitable as they would not be able to meet his needs once the dementia progressed.

I hope that the risperidone works (Im afraid I dont know how long it takes) and his anxiety and resulting aggression reduce, but the important thing is to make sure that our PWDs are safe and properly cared for. Its not fair on anyone if we try and keep them somewhere where their needs cannot be met

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Respridone worked after about 24-36hrs for my OH, the difference was increadable and that was on a very low dose to start with.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Respridone worked after about 24-36hrs for my OH, the difference was increadable and that was on a very low dose to start with.
This was my experience too, when my husband was started on it. He was on a combination of Risperidone and Trazodone. He started on 0.5mg Risperidone, which was increased to his maintenance dose of 1.5mg. He had had very extreme symptoms of paranoia and hallucinations, though.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
My OH was also put on Risperidone on Monday for agitation, hallucinations, delusions and aggression. It worked very quickly though GP said it can take a few days to reach full effect. However his dose isnt quite enough 1mg morning and .5mg evening, but the second dose doesnt prevent the symptoms reappearing, though it does seem to take some of the edge off them. He's been exhausting this evening though yesterday evening he was like a mouse.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My OH was also put on Risperidone on Monday for agitation, hallucinations, delusions and aggression. It worked very quickly though GP said it can take a few days to reach full effect. However his dose isnt quite enough 1mg morning and .5mg evening, but the second dose doesnt prevent the symptoms reappearing, though it does seem to take some of the edge off them. He's been exhausting this evening though yesterday evening he was like a mouse.
That was why trazodone was added to my husband's prescription. And he had Exelon patches too, because his consultant said that they have a side effect of calming agitation. The consultant said that he really couldn't give a higher dose of risperidone to someone that age. The combination worked really well, calming his symptoms without making him groggy or too sleepy.

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
Risperidone has been life changing for my OH & consequently for me! It calmed him very quickly initially 0.25 mg twice a day. That's been increased to 0.5 mg twice a day. He's been on it for several months now & whilst we still have the occasional rage if he's done too much they are nothing like before - no broken doors, glasses etc for weeks. I think it took a while for the full effect to be seen but there was an almost immediate improvement. Most recently I've been able to cut down on his Mertazapine. Truely life changing. I hope things work out for your mum & she is able to stay in the care home.