Advice please

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
My uncle who shares a house with my Mother and I. He has been suffering with dementia for the past 4 years. He will undergo medical assessments on a certain date soon. He is always shouting at and fighting with my Mother everyday. And now she is feeling destroyed with it. This happens every early afternoon at tea time. And he is aggressive with me also. My uncle's behaviour is now becoming worse. What should I do about it when this keeps on happening?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Kate221 it sound as if your uncle is sundowning, you need to contact your GP or memory clinic as they will be able to help with medication.

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
I spoke to his GP yesterday. I don't think he's on medication yet and hasn't been diagnosed as yet.

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Make sure you tell the GP exactly what is happening. Ask for an urgent appointment & try to be there.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If you or your mother, feel threatened phone 999 do not hesitate.
He clearly needs help, a crisis will force the situation into the open, where it can be dealt with in the best way.

Bod

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
If your uncle’s behaviour escalates and your mum or you feel threatened have you got a safe room you can retreat to until your uncle calms down?
One that locks, and keep your mobile phone with you just in case as Bod suggests you need to call 999.

it’s best not to argue with your uncle if you can avoid it at this time and just try to walk away. At least I found this worked best with my dad when he started to get agitated. There was no point in arguing with him as he “knew” he was right no matter how illogical his stance was!

Nightshade01

Nov 24, 2019
If your uncle’s behaviour escalates and your mum or you feel threatened have you got a safe room you can retreat to until your uncle calms down?
One that locks, and keep your mobile phone with you just in case as Bod suggests you need to call 999.

it’s best not to argue with your uncle if you can avoid it at this time and just try to walk away. At least I found this worked best with my dad when he started to get agitated. There was no point in arguing with him as he “knew” he was right no matter how illogical his stance was!
We spend time in our rooms. It happens when both me and my Mother are getting our dinner. I have called the police a few times. It gets can be unbearable living under the same roof. He has a habit of knocking on the doors to argue also.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Be sure to get "Incident Numbers" from the Police, these are an official record, and will show the GP, Social workers, Mental Health etc, what has been going on.
You must get help, not only for his sake but yours as well.

Bod

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisBoreham