Just realised how things have changed since CH

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
MIL has been in CH since mid July, my mother joined her 6 weeks ago.

When both of them lived in their own homes, there was always physical issues with both of them.

MIL ended up in hospital 3 times in as many months. Burst diverticulum, giddy spells, vomiting, diarrhoea, screaming and crying in pain with spinal stenosis- despite very strong medication- and this was when she had a 24hr carer. We would regularly get calls in the middle of the night that the paramedics or the emergency doctor had been called and we would end up accompanying her in the early hours to A&E.

My mother constantly complained of pains in her knees, back pain, nausea. She also had a dreadful bout of constipation which resulted in an enema and being put in a drip. Again, I drove the two hour journey late at night to get her seen at her local A&E

Since they’ve both been in the CH, there has been absolutely no medical emergencies at all with either of them. Their medication hasn’t changed. My mother is on no pain relief and yet, she never ever mentions the catalogue issues she had before. MIL’s medication for her stenosis is exactly the same as it always was and she doesn’t scream out like she did before whenever she was moved. The explosions of diarrhoea have completely stopped too.

I’m just fascinated that these genuine physical ailments have just gone. I can understand problems that are diet related being sorted by having regular nourishment but why has their pain subsided even though nothing obvious has has changed? We both seemed to spend a lot of our time getting one or either of them to a doctor or a hospital. Or is it simply because when they were alone in their own homes, where there was little interaction with others, they became focussed on their own issues?

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Hi @Champers . It's strange, isn't it?
I hadn't really thought about it before, but my mum is very similar. No significant medical issues since she moved into a care home 18months ago.. Although she didn't need repeated hospital admissions whilst at home, she always seemed to have something wrong with her and I was constantly calling the doctor out.
I guess its a combination of better food and care than I could give her and the reassurance that there is always someone around, 24 hrs a day to take care of her.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think in some instances the pain is due to anxiety. They feel a slight pain or discomfort, and over-interpret that into "help me, I'm dying". When still at home my mother thought indigestion was a heart attack, and an allergy was lung cancer. I think being in an environment where there is a range of helpful cheerful professionals who deal with them calmly helps to reassure. My mother has been in the CH for nearly two years now, she has had a couple of episodes of being off colour, but they were quickly resolved.