Tips on not heaving whilst cleaning incontinence accident

woodpony

Nov 22, 2017
Wiltshire
This is all new to me. I am a carer for an elderly lady who has incontinence problems. I can cope with urine but I heave terribly with poo. Any tips on how to deal with the heaving because of smell.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Try putting some petrolium jelly up your nostrils before you start. It also helps to have good latex gloves and lots of paper towels.
Ive also got a steam cleaner which I have found invaluable and have just discovered that you can get "Pet steam detergent" to go in it. For small areas pet sanitiser and deodorant intended for pet "accidents" (which can be got from pet shops) works well and gets rid of that horrible lingering smell.

woodpony

Nov 22, 2017
Wiltshire
Try putting some petrolium jelly up your nostrils before you start. It also helps to have good latex gloves and lots of paper towels.
Ive also got a steam cleaner which I have found invaluable and have just discovered that you can get "Pet steam detergent" to go in it. For small areas pet sanitiser and deodorant intended for pet "accidents" (which can be got from pet shops) works well and gets rid of that horrible lingering smell.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I do know what you mean, because I have a high gag reflex. Having had a child and, later, elderly dogs I know it's all about the smell. The actual poo didn't bother me, the smell did. And it's got worse as I've got older. I hope it doesn't come across as facetious, but with one of the dogs I used to put a clothespeg on my noise to clear up after her. Obviously you're not going to do that with your elderly client but for me it showed how much the gagging is stopped by not smelling. Towards the end I was using doggy nappies for my poor dog. It turned out dogs can get a canine version of dementia and I'm sure she had it. Another suggestion for you is perhaps putting Vics Vapour rub or equivalent under your nose or eucalyptus (sp?) oil may help to avoid the smell. I didn't have this problem with my mum because she went into a home before that happened, but I do sympathise because obviously you want to treat your client with respect.

woodpony

Nov 22, 2017
Wiltshire
I do know what you mean, because I have a high gag reflex. Having had a child and, later, elderly dogs I know it's all about the smell. The actual poo didn't bother me, the smell did. And it's got worse as I've got older. I hope it doesn't come across as facetious, but with one of the dogs I used to put a clothespeg on my noise to clear up after her. Obviously you're not going to do that with your elderly client but for me it showed how much the gagging is stopped by not smelling. Towards the end I was using doggy nappies for my poor dog. It turned out dogs can get a canine version of dementia and I'm sure she had it. Another suggestion for you is perhaps putting Vics Vapour rub or equivalent under your nose or eucalyptus (sp?) oil may help to avoid the smell. I didn't have this problem with my mum because she went into a home before that happened, but I do sympathise because obviously you want to treat your client with respect.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
When I was nursing incontinent people back in the day, I learned to breathe through my mouth and firmly not through my nose. It takes a bit of doing but it’s a reflex I still have with very bad smells. You have to keep going while you remove the evidence and use cleaning things to get rid of the smell. It can be done because I was at it all through a shift.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
No suggestions on gagging I'm afraid.

I currently have an elderly dog, and for urine I find using neat flash pet floor cleaner on the carpet area works brilliantly - I soak out the area with towels, pour on floor cleaner, rinse off and then soak dry with towels. I'd tried all sorts of suggestions from TP for humans which didn't work.

Edited - I then rinse towels and rinse again with washing detergent before putting in machine - I discovered with kids bedding (son had 'accidents' until he was about 10) that if I didn't rinse first it didn't come clean, but maybe I was doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019
Thank you theunknown for your experiences, I will try all the methods to find the one that works for me.
What about using a nose clip the ones they use for swimming they are small and I’m sure your client wouldn’t notice it that should do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968