Moving Care Home

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I don't think a DoLS has any bearing on whether your relative can move.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Thanks for your replies. I haven't heard if a best interest meeting has been called yet but in the meantime does anyone know if the care Home where dad is currently has a DOLs for dad can they stop him moving to Nursing Home?

No the Dols is specific to the care home when he moves to a new care home they apply for a new Dols. Dols are place specific not person specific. If for example your father went into hospital they would have to apply for a Dols if he was going to be there any lengths of time. Hope that helps x

Cag123

Nov 4, 2019
Sunny Cornwall
Thanks for the replies. Still waiting on a date for the meeting. Hope this can get sorted quickly and get dad to a place more suited to his needs.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I would suggest that the reason the care home rejected him for loud calling for a cup of coffee was because they saw this as agitation, which often leads to challenging behaviour. Does he need to move from the current care home due to problematic behaviour? Care homes, even if capable of coping with difficult behaviour, can only manage a certain proportion of troublesome residents at any one time.

Cag123

Nov 4, 2019
Sunny Cornwall
Dad needs to move as he is not getting the care he needs at his current home. Dad needs 2 carers to get him up from a chair before he can shuffle with his walking frame and has never been violent so I can't see this as challenging.
I was called out of work yesterday by the care home to say the DoLs Best interest meeting would be in an hour and a half time (short notice I thought). After waiting for 2 hours for the meeting the doctor turned up to say he was there to assess dad to see if he has capacity so not the best interest meeting. Half a days pay lost for nothing! As it was my sister and I had chance to explain our reasons and concerns for wanting to move dad to someone from the Care Homes head office who was on site and I am hopeful this will help. Just waiting for the actual Best Interest meeting.

Cag123

Nov 4, 2019
Sunny Cornwall
Latest update. Had a meeting with a DoLs assessor on Friday and he said we have brought up some safeguarding issues that he will report. Waiting to read the report. I have said that I am willing to be dads RPR and the forms should be sent to me soon. DoLs assessor has said dad should have an Advocate as well. I thought if the person had a RPR then an advocate wasnt needed. The Allocated Social worker has called today to say the Best Interest meeting will be tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone know about have an advocate and a RPR?

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for your replies. I haven't heard if a best interest meeting has been called yet but in the meantime does anyone know if the care Home where dad is currently has a DOLs for dad can they stop him moving to Nursing Home?
I wouldn't think so. I agree with others who have replied to you. You need to do what is best for your dad. I was told I had to move dad this time last year and a social worker who was pressing me to move him questioned dad and got him to say he would move but he didn't really want to and when it came to it we had no end of trouble moving him. He never settled in his new Nursing Home and I regret the move now but I was given no option. I had had another Home go to assess him but, in the end, they refused him. The Home near me took him (from 100 miles away) but it wasn't a good move. If it is a good Home then it will be the right thing but it's a bit of a gamble, I'm afraid.
Karen

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Latest update. Had a meeting with a DoLs assessor on Friday and he said we have brought up some safeguarding issues that he will report. Waiting to read the report. I have said that I am willing to be dads RPR and the forms should be sent to me soon. DoLs assessor has said dad should have an Advocate as well. I thought if the person had a RPR then an advocate wasnt needed. The Allocated Social worker has called today to say the Best Interest meeting will be tomorrow afternoon. Does anyone know about have an advocate and a RPR?
Good luck for tomorrow.

Cag123

Nov 4, 2019
Sunny Cornwall
Had the Best Interest meeting this afternoon and Social worker agrees it is in Dads best interest to move and will be contacting the new nursing home to recommend a quick move. Thank you to everyone on this thread for your help and advice on this.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Had the Best Interest meeting this afternoon and Social worker agrees it is in Dads best interest to move and will be contacting the new nursing home to recommend a quick move. Thank you to everyone on this thread for your help and advice on this.
That’s Fantastic news! x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger