Flu jabs

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Silly question to have to ask really but my partner (75) has never had a flu jab and, certainly in the time we've been together (17 years), he's never had the flu. It's just occurred to me that maybe he should have one - does everyone else get their PWD inoculated?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Yes - my Mum has been regularly inoculated for the last 4/5 years or so (aged 75 now) and I also have the jab as a carer. The GP surgery arranges this. Flu can cause all sorts of health problems in the elderly so even if your husband hasn't had it previously it's worth him having the jab to avoid any potential risks.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
As The Banjoman had always categorically refused to have the flu jab I accepted that was his choice once dementia raised its ugly head. I couldn’t force him to have it if he didn’t want it so never tried.
Providing you have yours so that there is less chance of you being seriously ill if you catch it I think that is the most important thing.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Your partner is a lucky man to have evaded the flu for so long, White Rose. We both get the inoculation as my partner is diabetic and has kidney problems which make her more vulnerable anyway. As Banjomansmate wrote you are best getting it and as a carer it will be free, just to be safe.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks for your replies - must say I never thought to have one myself as I've also never had flu

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum has had one every year since she was 65, this year they gave me one too as I am her carer and although I am 59 apparently I was entitled to one.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother has had one every year since she became entitled to it. She's now in a CH and they have all the residents vaccinated. I have had a flu jab every year since I was first offered it (I'm asthmatic). I can't see any reason not to have it.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My dad has had the flu jab.I haven’t .I have never had the flu and personally I’m against a lot of jabs.But then again it is all personal preference.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I have had flu in the past so for many years now I have been thankful for the protection provided by the flu jab each year.

Our surgery also offers a pneumococcal jab - a once only jab which gives lifetime protection.

I also received a shingles jab - this required a separate appointment - not done same day as flu jab.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Silly question to have to ask really but my partner (75) has never had a flu jab and, certainly in the time we've been together (17 years), he's never had the flu. It's just occurred to me that maybe he should have one - does everyone else get their PWD inoculated?

yes - saddo that I am I researched dementia & flu jab very very throughly - the benefits outweighed the minuscule risk factor of a slight raised temperature as that could be treated with paracetamol.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
"I've never had the flu" really isn't an argument for not getting the jab. Please have one for yourself and one for your PWD, and if it's just to prevent other people with a low immune system from getting ill from you!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My husband and dau got flu in spring 2018, they were both very very poorly, dau ended up with pneumonia. Husband was off work for 2 weeks, his first sick leave in over 8 years. He is fit and healthy, rides 2 to 300 miles on his bike every week, it took him months to get over it.

Unless someone is near end of life I think it isn't fair to put them through that misery.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Mum (PWD), OH (heart problems) and myself (fit and carer for t'others) have a flu jab.
OH and I had flu in 1980 and have never been so poorly.
Anything to help prevent catching it again is fine by us.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
If you have ever seen anyone with true flu, not just a heavy cold, you wouldn't think twice about it.

Several hundred people died in Australia last winter from flu, many of them elderly.

Our GP. tells my husband that he is getting a flu jab and he accepts that. He has also had one for shingles and pneumonia.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019

I had my mums flu jab done at Tesco pharmacy, I believe all pharmacies do them. Much quicker than going the doctors, pharmacist did me and mum on the spot took no more than 5 minutes. If your going shopping it’s so easy to combine the two things. My mum is paranoid about the doctors I would never have got her to go. She also didn’t have a chance to think about it and get all paranoid like usual. Fantastic service highly recommend! I have asthma so I was entitled to one but carers can also have free flu jabs. X

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I had my mums flu jab done at Tesco pharmacy, I believe all pharmacies do them. Much quicker than going the doctors, pharmacist did me and mum on the spot took no more than 5 minutes. If your going shopping it’s so easy to combine the two things. My mum is paranoid about the doctors I would never have got her to go. She also didn’t have a chance to think about it and get all paranoid like usual. Fantastic service highly recommend! I have asthma so I was entitled to one but carers can also have free flu jabs. X
I also have mine and my husband (PWD) done at the chemist, much less fuss and a lot quicker than going to the doctors.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
We had ours, the district nurse came out as my husband is on house bound list. I agree, most do not know what flu is as many claim to have it when they have a heavy cold. It can kill but also can just take such a long time to recover I would not wish it on anyone.