Alcohol dimentia

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Long journey ahead
Just to let you know that this is an old thread and the member hasn't been back to TP since Dec 2019... you can check that by clicking on the member's name above each text box

Jane Gregory

Nov 25, 2019
Such a shame but thank you
Hi, I'm sorry that I haven't been back on - I thought I could cope on my own but i was wrong.
My mother in law was diagnosed over a year ago and the mental health team are planning to discharge her.
She has not stopped drinking but we have tried to limit her intake - it worked for a while but she is still so nasty to me. Everything is my fault, if she falls out of bed I pushed her. She even accused me of taking her money out of her knickers while she was asleep. I think the family is relieved that it is me she hates and not them but that is no help for me. My partner says I need to let it all go over my head but i cant it hurts

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Jane Gregory Sorry to hear of your problems, and there's no shame in admitting that you can't cope. Unfortunately it is quite common for those with dementia to focus any anger or blame on the person who is caring for them, and the fact that your mother in law has a drink problem will add to those feelings of anger. It's easy for others to say to just let the anger and nasty comments go over your head but not so easy to deal with when you are on the receiving end. Does your mother in law live with you, and do you have any other support to help you to care for her? You sound like you are really struggling so please keep posting, and also think about giving the dementia support line a call to talk things through as they will be able to offer you help and support (they are open at weekends):

Jane Gregory

Nov 25, 2019
Hi please can any one help. My mother in law got so angry this morning that she hit me - quite hard actually. She then threatened to really punch me one next time. Is this just the beginning. She was drinking at 5am this morning and is now running out.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Jane Gregory Please ring the dementia connect support line - details in my previous link above. They will be able to help with the support that you need. Your mother in law is now physically abusive, as well as verbally. Please reach out for support.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Jane Gregory
hard as this may be to do, please get the Police involved ... they are much more used to dealing with such situations than we think ... they can refer on to Social Services ... and having them attend will be useful as they have to record visits and that record can be used as evidence to Social Services that much more support is needed ... if you have a bruise, take photos

do also contact Social Services today and let them know exactly what happened ... tell them you believe this is now a 'safeguarding issue', that your MIL is a 'vulnerable adult' who is 'at risk' of causing harm to others due to her behaviour ... remind them that they have the 'duty of care' to keep her safe and provide the level of care she needs

do call the Support LIne to talk this over with one of the knowledgeable advisors in real time

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
hi @Jane Gregory
hard as this may be to do, please get the Police involved ... they are much more used to dealing with such situations than we think ... they can refer on to Social Services ... and having them attend will be useful as they have to record visits and that record can be used as evidence to Social Services that much more support is needed ... if you have a bruise, take photos

do also contact Social Services today and let them know exactly what happened ... tell them you believe this is now a 'safeguarding issue', that your MIL is a 'vulnerable adult' who is 'at risk' of causing harm to others due to her behaviour ... remind them that they have the 'duty of care' to keep her safe and provide the level of care she needs

do call the Support LIne to talk this over with one of the knowledgeable advisors in real time
Hi Jane Gregory.
not heard from you for a while. Just thought I would say hello and see how you are
X

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC