Contributory JSA and small amount of self employed earnings

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
I have just discovered that the carers allowance I received gave me class one contributions for JSA. I did not claim because I did not realise I would be entitled to anything. Now I have been made redundant from the one day a week part time employed job I had. I also have another 30.00 per week self employed job providing secretarial services to an author. If I claim JSA which I want to do to give my state pension a further minute boost do you know if I can just declare my other earnings and have the JSA reduced. I know I also have to look for work of more than 16 hours per week and I am happy to do that - although I am very much on call for the care home and go in to prevent aggressive outbursts and prompt for showering and personal care as care home are unable to get my dad to wash whereas I can and still preserve his dignity. I also missed out on other temporary work invigilating. I am happy to work but I want to work around my care commitments.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have just discovered that the carers allowance I received gave me class one contributions for JSA. I did not claim because I did not realise I would be entitled to anything. Now I have been made redundant from the one day a week part time employed job I had. I also have another 30.00 per week self employed job providing secretarial services to an author. If I claim JSA which I want to do to give my state pension a further minute boost do you know if I can just declare my other earnings and have the JSA reduced. I know I also have to look for work of more than 16 hours per week and I am happy to do that - although I am very much on call for the care home and go in to prevent aggressive outbursts and prompt for showering and personal care as care home are unable to get my dad to wash whereas I can and still preserve his dignity. I also missed out on other temporary work invigilating. I am happy to work but I want to work around my care commitments.

ring the tax office, they are really helpful

seriously lovely people, I’m self employed & they talked me through everything & explained it with great patience.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
I can now let you know that if you have only tiny earnings then you just declare it each time you sign on . They don't seem too bothered about what I am doing for contributory jsa. I do which that when you ceased to claim carers allowance that they told you you were eligible to sign on. this would kept my NI record up to date. Of course you have to look for work and I am diligently doing this in between taking father to his appointments and averting aggressive incidents.