Such a Sudden Change.

Oxendon01

Nov 25, 2019
My mother was diagnosed 4 years ago with Lewis Body Dementia.
and for all that time she has been a high functioning Dementia patient in a care home.

Then 2 weeks ago she just changed from a stong (some say stubborn) woman to a woman I no longer recognise...
The care home say they cannot carry on looking after her as she needs 24/7 care and my sister and I are devastated!!!

I feel scared and panicked that the home seems to want rid of her... we had a meeting with them to say we are concerned about what will happen if she is moved...what we should expect...but tbh they do not seem forthcoming about the situation... except to say they charge £16 per hour for continued 24.7 care.... we dont have that sort of money!!!!

I feel guilty that I lay awake last night wishing she could just go...to stop the suffering of this wonderful woman... i/we just don't know what to expect.. its all been so quick!!!!

How long does this shell of a woman have to carry on like this? could it be years???
The thought of that shatters me...!!

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Oxendon01
a warm welcome to DTP
what a shock for you all

I appreciate how you feel and understand your thoughts ... no-one can really give an idea of how long your mum will continue or how things will be for het

I wonder whether the home have called in the Community Psychiatric team to assess your mum as something has clearly altered for her and needs to be checked out

sadly your situation isn't unfamiliar ... in a way it's good that the home have been up front and told you they can no longer meet your mum's needs, as they have a responsibility to do this ... that doesn't help you, though
do contact the Local Authority's Adult Services, explain the situation and ask for urgent assistance

Admiral Nurses may be able to help ypu as a carer, they have a helpline
https://www.dementiauk.org/for-professionals/what-do-admiral-nurses-do/

and there's the Dementia Helpline to help too
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline

now you've found us, keep posting, it does help to share