How do I allay his fears?

berlingirl

Dec 19, 2016
My partner is 82 and was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about two years ago. His decline has been very gradual and he is physically fit but his memory and speech problems are particularly bad. He can't remember words for things or cannot pronounce them. He can't follow what people are saying on television although he can hear them alright. His self-awareness though is fully intact and he is very conscious of what is happening to him.

He told me that he is scared and I just don't know what to say to him. We both know it will only get worse. What can I say to him when the outlook is so bleak?

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Encourage him not to look to the future. Take each week/ day as it comes makethe most of it and enjoy it. Maybe replace tv with music.
We know, in truth, the future is bleak but none of us know how long we have got so whilst he is physically fit maximise everyday and live in the moment!
Wishing you both well!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He told me that he is scared and I just don't know what to say to him. We both know it will only get worse. What can I say to him when the outlook is so bleak?

I would just try to reassure him you will be by his side no matter what and go through this together.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I agree with Grannie G, reassuring my OH worked wonders.
I kept telling him, and still do, that I will always be there for him and I have his back and I never leave the room without telling him what I am going to do and I'll be back in few minutes.

I then often go and have a scream or a sob but never let him see me other than bright and cheery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba