Memory or not

Ginner969

Nov 23, 2019
How do I tell if my lo is having an hallucination or just another memory problem
She often ask where the person who was sitting on the sofa went but has so far never said she can see someone at the time. Can't work out her stage as it varies from day to day even hour to hour sometimes its hard to see that she has Alzheimer's then later she sundowns sometimes for a few hours sometimes just minutes and theb days when not at all

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds like a hallucination to me @Ginner969 My husband used to say the same.

When he wasn`t sitting in his usual chair by the fire but sitting at the back of the room, when I suggested he sat in his chair he said "I will when she goes."

I asked if it worried him or upset him and he said it didn`t so I was able to go along with it.

Welcome to Dementia Talking Point. :)

Ginner969

Nov 23, 2019
Thank you I'm not new to this but find great difficulty in accessing information and when reading my wife never seems to quite fit she was diagnosed in 2014 since then I've had surgery for lung cancer I'm 3years in remission now which is good because I don't get a lot of time for myself not complaining though it keeps me busy and my mind off Cancer but 2 years ago the dementia service discharged my wife into the care of the Gp we have since moved but the GPS are good but I feel that at times their as
in the dark as I am

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
GPS are good but I feel that at times their as
in the dark as I am

I`m sure from my own experiences the GPs are sympathetic but there is so little treatment available I`m sure they are as frustrated as we are.

I have a friend with Parkinsons. She is always complaining the doctors do nothing. I think the doctors do nothing because there is nothing they can do.

All drugs for illnesses such as Dementia and Parkinsons are very powerful. If they agree with the patient it is a bonus. If they disagree with the patients and have strong side effects. what else can be done?

It`s tragic.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
2 years ago the dementia service discharged my wife into the care of the Gp we have since moved but the GPS are good but I feel that at times their as
in the dark as I am
Maybe you are feeling as I do - you're on your own. My husband sees the GP once a year regarding his Alzeimers, and that's it. I realise there is nothing more they can do but I just feel I'd like some kind of back up, someone to say "he is as to be expected and you're doing all you can". Someone to say "we're keeping an eye on him and we'll let you know if there is something more we can do". I just feel so alone with this, thankfully we have TP.

Last edited:

Buteo

Mar 20, 2019
Ask social services for a needs assessment for both you and your wife. Carers and sufferers have a right to support.

Everyone is in the dark about dementia and no one knows what will happen to a sufferer next.
One thing that happens to a lot of dementia sufferers is that they misinterpret sensory information. A shape or a shadow is interpreted as a dog or a person. My wife thinks her reflection is someone else. She often believes someone else is in the house, but I tend to think that she interprets sounds from the fridge and the heating system as someone else moving around in another room.

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019
Thank you I'm not new to this but find great difficulty in accessing information and when reading my wife never seems to quite fit she was diagnosed in 2014 since then I've had surgery for lung cancer I'm 3years in remission now which is good because I don't get a lot of time for myself not complaining though it keeps me busy and my mind off Cancer but 2 years ago the dementia service discharged my wife into the care of the Gp we have since moved but the GPS are good but I feel that at times their as
in the dark as I am

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019
How do I tell if my lo is having an hallucination or just another memory problem
She often ask where the person who was sitting on the sofa went but has so far never said she can see someone at the time. Can't work out her stage as it varies from day to day even hour to hour sometimes its hard to see that she has Alzheimer's then later she sundowns sometimes for a few hours sometimes just minutes and theb days when not at all
Hi we are looking after our sons Nan at the moment it’s really hard to see what stage someone is in as it varies from day to day hour to hour. We have found that she overlaps the stages she has some symptoms from stage 3 4 and 5 she is definitely worse in the late afternoon early evening, that can be very difficult she gets aggressive and nast. You need to get help get in touch with social services to get a needs assessment to see if you can get carers in to help you and also see if there is any availability in local day centres, bearing in mind your own health issues you need to get help as your wife’s condition will get worse as time goes on, sending you love and prayers