Calling All Family Care Givers! *Design Influence*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy McStay

Nov 8, 2018
Hi,

As a Final Year Product Design student with personal experience in caring for a relative with Dementia, I strive to come up with a product or service for family care givers of people with Dementia.

You become a carer before you know it and through research I notice that there is a serious lack of attention paid to the family care giver. I believe that if the right support and caring is given to the caregiver, better care will be provided for the person with Dementia.

I have read through these forums for weeks gaining valuable insights and commonalities in problems.

My first Question is, As a family caregiver, excluding respite, what do you currently do for yourself in relation to self care to get a break from constantly caring for someone else? What kind of activity or product do you think would be beneficial to you as a carer to improve your own health mentally or physically?

I have come up with a few ideas such as interactive bucket list generation where the person with dementia (early stages after acceptance) thinks and records all the things they may want to do or experience therefore the family can help them to do so and keep a sentimental record of these events when they are ticked off.

A jar to be filled with memories by the family each time the person with Dementia mentions something to be remembered (funny, proud, childhood memories). These ideas act firstly as an activity for caregiver and person with Dementia to do together and secondly have high sentimental value for when the person with Dementia passes away.

The emotional strain on family care givers is something I feel passionate designing for, So my Question to Care givers is, from experience what kind of things do you wish you had such as activities to do with your relative with dementia or things to remember them by when they pass away?

All comments, thoughts, advice and criticism will be much appreciated! Thank You!

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
Hi

We used to go swimming but my husband cannot cope when the lanes are busy. So s dementia friendly swimming session would help. He is still active and a walking dementia group going into Derbyshire which is near where we live would be good aswell. I only see rambling groups which go too far. He also has trouble walking on uneven paths which makes it harder to go on country walks. I don’t feel confident enough to take him in my own .

Flavelle

Jun 20, 2017
Oh I love your jar idea...could it be in the shape of a lightbulb...I had fascinating discussions about electricity first being delivered to rural communities...but I guess this is over and Cathy you have done your PD product as this was last year???

Status
Not open for further replies.