Birthday and Christmas Presents

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
It will be OH's 80th Birthday on Tuesday, 26th. I thought that we were all organised - Buffet style afternoon tea for close family in the care home, photographs and a cassette of music from some of the bands that OH played in. Also DD2 had a marvellous idea for a present for OH - a fancy bird feeding station to go outside OH's window. I have spoken to the home and they are very happy to have this in the gardens, I have promised that we will regularly supply bird seed etc. So far so good.

Today, younger daughter, who came up with this brilliant idea, informed me that the bird station was HER present to her Dad and I need to come up with something else. Older Daughter has got him a set of french boules which she and the Grandbairns will play with him when they visit. HELP - I don't have a single idea in my head. OH has more clothes than will fit in his wardrobe and I recently supplied a double ration of two month's worth of toiletries. He has 2 photo albums of 'memories' and friends who visit him occasionally keep him well supplied with biscuits and sweets. To complicate things further I am still nursing a broken arm and can neither drive nor hop on a bus to the shops.

It occurs to me that we will all be facing this dilemma in the run up to Christmas so does anyone have any successful gift ideas? I feel it has to be something really special as it is his 80th, although I am aware that he will probably not be much aware of the occasion.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
A pair of binoculars to watch the birds. I don't know it's all I could think of. Simple ones that don't need adjusting, if they exist.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Last year my daughter made up a poster online for her Grandma and had it printed out . It had photos of all members of the family at different ages. It was very successful and Mum loved it. It also gives the Care workers something to talk to mum about. I don't think they're expensive.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
A pair of binoculars to watch the birds. I don't know it's all I could think of. Simple ones that don't need adjusting, if they exist.
That is a brilliant idea Duggies-girl. We do have two pairs in the house anyway, which OH used to use to watch birds. I can't believe that I never thought to take the small pair into the home for him. Thank You.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
That is a brilliant idea Duggies-girl. We do have two pairs in the house anyway, which OH used to use to watch birds. I can't believe that I never thought to take the small pair into the home for him. Thank You.

Wow thank you @Wifenotcarer it is so nice to think that I have had a good idea for once. I just thought that if he could see the birds from his window then maybe binoculars would help. I have a pair on the kitchen windowsill for exactly the same purpose.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
1950s scrapbook. My husband was born in 1947 and I bought him a 1960s scrapbook and he loves it. I bought it from the Alzheimers shop and it shows all sorts of things that were available to buy in that decade, many of the things that you can no longer get now brought back memories.

SarahLCol

Dec 3, 2019
Hi @Wifenotcarer , looks like you've got a good idea lined up now. But for others, you can get age-appropriate colouring books now with vintage scenes - even painting canvases with images that appear when you 'paint' over them with water, and jigsaws with less pieces. Alz Soc have lots in the gifts section of their site :)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My daughter gave OH tickets to a show at our local performing arts centre. It was not a big performance but a couple of well Australian performers in a small theatre. He was unsure about going but thoroughly enjoyed it.

This centre has shows for older people during the day and are mostly familiar songs without being overly long.

OH has hinted that he wouldn't mind getting something similar for Christmas. Perhaps if your husband can get out, he might enjoy getting tickets for an appropriate concert.