Mum doesnt know who I am -or who she is?

Saffronlizzy

Nov 23, 2019
I knew it was coming but was still a shock. When I visited mum in her CH today she asked me if I was going to call in and see my mum on the way home ! Also to take the flowers I took her and give them to my mum instead. Feels desperate .....

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
Another day she might remember. :) I had this discussion with my daughter today. Both of us feel she still has some connection even if she can’t identify who, what or acknowledge it. A few years back she had no idea who my dad was but then it all came back...bizarre what phases you pass through

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Saffronlizzy. I feel for you after visits to my granny who was never diagnosed with dementia but used to break my heart with similar comments.

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Sorry to read that @Saffronlizzy, you would think that a parent may forget non-family but always recognise a beloved child, that's the cruelty of dementia, it even robs our PWD of familiarity.

Here's a strange thing, we took mum to a glorious pre-Christmas event yesterday evening; showing her the photos today, she didn't recognise herself. I guess it isn't just familiar faces who get forgotten, but her own self as well. I must admit I was a bit upset by that.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I don't think mum knows who I am (daughter), when asked how many children she has she always answers her son - who does everything for her - I know she can't help it, but it does hurt especially the bit that he does everything for her.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My mum thinks I’m running the care home where she lives which is actually at my house. She also frequently shows me a picture of her mother which is actually a picture of her when she was younger. She’s not distressed by it though which is a blessing. It’s much easier for them to lose or miss someone if they simply can’t remember them ever existing.