Contrary thinking

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
Has anyone else come across their OH having bouts of thinking that are totally contradictory? My OH told me that he was not wearing his pull up because he had taken it off when he was at the toilet and wasn't going to wear one again, so I asked where it was. "I don't know," he said. So I went an fetched another one and he said he didn't need it because he had one on. "But you said you took it off," "I did", he said. "I'm not wearing them again". "But you have one on now?" "Yes". I don't know if he is confused but I certainly am.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry Avis, I had to laugh at that even though I do understand how frustrating it can be. My OH can hold two opposing opinions on any subject at the same time and wonder why I look puzzled.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
In the past couple of years I have often said my mum should be called Mary as in 'contrary Mary' as she often says two contradictory things at the same time.

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
Sorry Avis, I had to laugh at that even though I do understand how frustrating it can be. My OH can hold two opposing opinions on any subject at the same time and wonder why I look puzzled.
Thanks, I am glad to know I am not going crazy.

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
In the past couple of years I have often said my mum should be called Mary as in 'contrary Mary' as she often says two contradictory things at the same time.
It is so frustrating sometimes isn't it. How the brain works, or doesn't, is a mystery.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It seems to be perfectly possible for a person with dementia to hold 2 entirely contradictory views at the same time. It is even possible for them to have a conversation with someone whilst querying the whereabouts of that person. My wife has often said something like "K, what time did K say that he would be back?" Today she acknowledged that she was wearing shoes but also said that she needed to put some shoes on. Never take anything at face value!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I very quickly learned to distrust mums utterances of "I know that"
As In
Mum - where are we going for lunch?
Me - we are at the cafe now mum.
Mum - I know that, but where are we going for lunch?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My mum's view on her care home was: 'I love it here - the food is nice and the girls can't do enough for you... but I can't stay here because there's never any food and everyone is horrible...'

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
We may have called my Mum "Mary,Mary quite contrary" once or twice......
I think she quite lied it.

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
My mum's view on her care home was: 'I love it here - the food is nice and the girls can't do enough for you... but I can't stay here because there's never any food and everyone is horrible...'
Sounds like my other half. It takes getting used to.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
My MIL is in hospital, yesterday we visited and she said oh time goes so slowly here I'm very bored, 2 mins later oh time flies by in here!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95