Clearing Stuff Out Of The House

sausagedog

Aug 22, 2019
I understand executor is when some one has passed away and power of attorney when they are alive. Apologies for the mistake. But what if the person is never coming home, speaking from my own experience here, would we have to wait until the court of protection rules, to clear the house? There is no power on, and the contents are very cold and damp some of it is smelly as contaminated by stale cigarette smoke.. House has been unoccupied over a year now. I thought it would be best to just deal with the actual rubbish and clutter and wait until the legal situation is clarified before dealing with anything which could have monetary value???

Do you have siblings? Assuming you have, Would they be in agreement for the property to have heating on low to prevent further damp/potential burst pipes if we get a bad winter etc. I can’t see an issue removing rubbish from the property & anything valuable kept elsewhere for safekeeping - at the end of the day you’d be preserving an asset & looking after things - In my opinion I can’t see an issue with that.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I understand executor is when some one has passed away and power of attorney when they are alive. Apologies for the mistake. But what if the person is never coming home, speaking from my own experience here, would we have to wait until the court of protection rules, to clear the house? There is no power on, and the contents are very cold and damp some of it is smelly as contaminated by stale cigarette smoke.. House has been unoccupied over a year now. I thought it would be best to just deal with the actual rubbish and clutter and wait until the legal situation is clarified before dealing with anything which could have monetary value???

As POA it is your duty to do the best for the person.
It is now clear, they will never return to the house. Their best interests are now for the house and contents to be cleared, and any monies realised to be put towards their care.
As POA you are entitled to expenses for this work, skip hire, estate agents, etc.
Anything of family interest, it's best to ask around before disposal.
Keep all records of spending, etc separate from your personal accounts.
It's a horrible job.

Bod

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
If the house is insured many insurers require
To minimise risk of frozen pipes that may burst in the winter, house insurance often stipulates minimum heating. I found this when dad's house was empty for 2 years but actually felt it sound logical advice. You may not have insurance, there are companies that provide such for unoccupied buildings. As an attorney you should be doing all you can to protect the person's assets if they own the property and at least try to take action to prevent the house deteriorating any further if you can. I had to sell dad's house while he was in a NH, clearing and selling etc is fine so long as you are acting in the person's best interests and proceeds go solely to that person.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
As the last couple of years have passed by I can smile at Dad's funny dementia ways and remember things like carrying 3 or 4 walking sticks, wearing the rather attractive pink diamonte specs in the ambulance, enjoying the pre school children singing carols whilst conducting with his hands and at the end like a naughty schoolboy making a rude gesture and giggling, even in the grip of dementia and him not having clarity of anything suddenly noticing that I had tears which I thought I had passed off as hay fever and he gently wiped my face...these memories and more are balancing out the not very pleasant and sad ones I have during the very difficult and challenging times. This will become the case for you as well...good memories even in dementia times will surface and make you smile.

Dear Love.dad.but,

The last time I saw dad before he went into hospital I was actually able to say goodbye to him. I said I've just got to go and get the washing in and he said "Okay! Bye!" whereas previously I had to disappear. I am very pleased to have this memory. As carers of dementia sufferers we have some extra special memories.

MaNaAk

PS: I tried to picture your dad in an ambulance with diamante glasses!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dear Love.dad.but,

The last time I saw dad before he went into hospital I was actually able to say goodbye to him. I said I've just got to go and get the washing in and he said "Okay! Bye!" whereas previously I had to disappear. I am very pleased to have this memory. As carers of dementia sufferers we have some extra special memories.

MaNaAk

PS: I tried to picture your dad in an ambulance with diamante glasses!
Even at the time and dad poorly I could see the funny side and the paramedic trying not to laugh! The only way I could get them off him was by saying 'wow thanks dad you found my glasses' and placing his specs in his hand to distract him while I took the most attractive pink diamonte ones off! I knew which resident they belonged to!