Just starting on this type of communication

Exaden

Nov 20, 2019
I have a dear wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s almost 6 years ago and is now quite far advance in this dreadful illness. I have never been involved in this type of open conversation but am interested in how this might be helpful to me as I have a limited support network and spend all of the 24 hours each day caring for my wife without much social contact with the outside world. I spend the little free time I have reading Shakesphere which shines a light on human behaviour that still is relative today as when he wrote it.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Exaden

I’m sorry to read you’re alone with caring for your wife but you’ll always find someone who understands here.

I used to read Shakespeare but seldom do now. One quote which sticks in my head which seems particularly relevant to the ravages of dementia is “Old fools are babes again”...can’t help wondering if King Lear was in the early stages..

Last edited:

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
Hello @Exaden - welcome to the forum. It is a bit of a learning curve when you first go on a forum, particularly if you are not used to talking over problems with others, but you can just keep reading until you feel comfortable enough to post, and you only need to write as much as you want. I'm sure you'll find the forum very helpful and supportive and hopefully you'll feel less on your own coping with this horrible disease.

I'm so sorry about your wife, you are a wonderful husband to devote yourself to her like this, but please remember you count too, and take care of yourself

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Exaden and welcome to DTP
I’m pleased you have found the forum and stared posting.
It’s a friendly and supportive place to express your feelings and ask questions.
Now you have found us I hope you will continue to post