Mum is going to a care home early next week - what do I need to pack for her?

Grable

May 19, 2015
Slippers were important to my mum when she was in the care home. They needed to be easy for her to put on and take off.
We also prepared an electronic picture frame with digital photos which changed automatically. That worked well.
For Christmas, my brother had a blanket made with photos of her and the family on it. It was lovely to put over her legs to keep her warm.
And to keep her occupied, there were some dementia-friendly jigsaw puzzles (bought from the online shop on this site, I think). She liked those while she was able to do them.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Re labelling, I use iron-on labels and after nearly two years of care home laundry my mother has not lost any of her clothes as far as I can tell. I did look at the click-on type (even easier) but I thought my mother would find them annoying. For shoes/slippers/soft toys/anything else which isn't going through a laundry and where you can't use iron-on, I use Stick-ins which you literally just press on.

Talking of slippers, my mother's have never made an appearance on her feet, she wears soft Mary Jane style shoes with a flat heel. Most residents do wear slippers but I noticed this week that another resident wears Sketchers style shoes.

Ding Dong

May 1, 2013
Making the room homely is important. Photos & pictures gave the carers ideas to talk about to my mum, but make sure they have name & room number on the back so when another resident takes a fancy to them, they will find their way back to you. I used to find wedding pictures & photos of grandchildren in mum’s room but it was very difficult to return the ones with no name. Ditto with Christmas & Birthday cards, all which all say “ To Mum” ! Other suggestions are cushions, silk flowers, Tv, radio/ music player, table lamp, small table for coffee cups. Mum & others seemed to get a lot of comfort from cuddly toy dogs and enjoyed holding them & stroking them. Everything can & will go missing, so name everything, from pictures on the wall to hair brush. All clothes including socks need to be named. Start with iron on labels as they are quick, but they do come off in the wash. Sew on labels are a pain, but I would sew a few on every visit while I chatted. Two identical pairs of slippers, as they regularly “go for walk”. I sewed a name tape on the front because I kept finding other residents wearing mum’s slippers & mum wearing someone else’s slippers. Two identical dressing gowns for winter & 2 for summer. If they are identical you have more chance of carers remembering who they belong to! Warm cardigans or fleece jackets are good as older people seem to feel the cold more. Try not to be upset when things go missing. Some loved ones with dementia are just like children - see something pretty, pick it up & wander off with it. Most things names come back eventually.

papilion

Sep 26, 2018
Hi, we’ve managed 7 1/2 years keeping mum happy and safe in her own home, but there have been a couple of “bare foot incidents” as the social worker politely termed it, I.e. outside just in a nighty. So we can no longer keep her safe and have found a lovely home near us that I am sure mum will think is a hotel. I just want to ask you all what you think I need to pack. Mum has about 30 pairs of shoes, I assume she’ll just need a couple of pairs, same goes for coats. Do I need to get toiletries, pack towels etc. I’ve searched the internet and can’t find suggestions or a recommended packing list.

papilion

Sep 26, 2018
Im so happy you have managed to get your mum to a safe and hopfully a happy home wish you all the best,we had thought we had persuaded my mum to move its in her best interest shes had vascular dementia for two years currently in sheltered housing ,its a constent worry wont let the carers in , missed meals ,ect its a nightmare

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
Think it depends on the care home. As many clothes and toiletries as you can, then add as required.
My Mums care home are always asking for photos as Mum loves looking through them and its about the only activity she is able to do. But I am aware they could go missing so make copies of the ones I want myself, before I take them

NorseCare

Feb 20, 2023
Everybody has their own wants and needs to the list will change for each individual. However we've written up a list for a starting point about clothes, bedding and other essentials