And so it goes on...

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
He sounds just like dad @Grahamstown although dad can still manage scrambled egg with extra cream, I make it so runny it is almost a liquid. High calorie chocolate mousses but only one at a time now. Previously he would eat 3 in one go if I offered them, now it's a struggle to eat one. Yes I have upped the shakes again, fortunately we have a stash from when he was eating rather well.
This time last year it was shepherds pie and all sorts of good things,

So similar, just about mobile with his frame and still continent, thank god. Been out of bed for half an hour and now asleep in the chair so at least I can go and do his bit of shopping because he is not going to move.

I have more or less forgotten about the cancer now, it seems irrelevant.

It's dad's appearance that I find hardest, he has shrunk so much and is so bent with his frame.

We have monthly phone calls from the hospice to check on dad and I always say he is doing okay but he is declining. I feel like time has slowed down and everything is passing me by and I know this can go on and on. For such a weak and sick man he is very strong somehow to keep going like he does.

I may weigh him this afternoon.
Thinking of you so much especially because my husband is exactly the same in most ways. The only thing he does outside the house now is to very occasionally have a short stroll around the garden, or I take him to the barbers. He too is so thin, skin and bone but miraculously he doesn’t have any bed sores yet. Scrambled eggs are still ok, but he wouldn’t eat a whole one if I didn’t keep encouraging him. That’s the hardest thing, he looks at his plate and looks sad and says he can’t eat that, every single time. So the chat with the dietician was helpful because there isn’t much benefit in putting a plate in front of him, so drinks, finger food and little dishes of sweet things are the way to go. It’s just hard hitting these milestones of decline instead of enjoying a meal together. I think our daughter feels exactly the same as you do. She looked after him last Saturday and found the feeding very soul destroying. I am beginning to feel quite paralysed by this disease, and find it increasingly difficult to motivate myself to do anything. I do keep going though and still try to have a decent walk every day.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I agree with the lack of motivation @Grahamstown I can't seem to be bothered to do anything most of the time. I started walking round dad's block every evening and then thought it would be a good idea to do a little jog so I ended up with a pulled muscle or something that took 3 weeks to heal and since then I have done nothing.

Dad has not been out in his garden for ages, he rarely makes the kitchen nowadays and if he does, he does not seem to recognise his garden. I cut his hair last week because it is now a huge effort to get him out as he is too wobbly. Getting him over the doorstep is scary with his frame and he doesn't seem to remember how to get into the car properly, he tries to get in head first really awkwardly so I have reserved car journeys for appointments only.

Yes soul destroying and thinking of you too.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It’s as if the coordination has just gone. Dad seems to have forgotten how to walk & feed himself!
Mum is better first thing in the morning but she’s forgetting to shut the freezer door a lot ! So it’s now turned off!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I agree with the lack of motivation @Grahamstown I can't seem to be bothered to do anything most of the time. I started walking round dad's block every evening and then thought it would be a good idea to do a little jog so I ended up with a pulled muscle or something that took 3 weeks to heal and since then I have done nothing.

Dad has not been out in his garden for ages, he rarely makes the kitchen nowadays and if he does, he does not seem to recognise his garden. I cut his hair last week because it is now a huge effort to get him out as he is too wobbly. Getting him over the doorstep is scary with his frame and he doesn't seem to remember how to get into the car properly, he tries to get in head first really awkwardly so I have reserved car journeys for appointments only.

Yes soul destroying and thinking of you too.
Your father is just that bit worse than my husband. The effort to get him out is a big effort for me too and I dread it. We have a dental appointment in December and I am wondering what to do about it. I guess that I ought to try and take him but I am not sure. At least I sleep well otherwise I would be in really bad shape. Sleep well too (-:

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I am very very bad at compassionate communication, and I feel bad about it myself but the patience required is beyond my ability. I guess I can do it sometimes but by the end of the day, it does my head in. There that feels better, a short rant before I take him out for supper and try to keep him off the alcohol.
@ I am so with you on this. But the truth is I am a very harsh judge of my own behavior. The truth is most of the time I am compassionate and kind. It is that 5% of the time, when I am tired or impatient and overwhelmed that I remember and think about. I forget about all the daily kindnesses I do. The bathing, the feeding , the dressing, the organizing of activities. None of this would happen without my efforts.
I am sure you are much more compassionate than you give yourself credit for.
I think we need to remind ourselves each day what we do our partners not beat ourselves up for what we did wrong...Take care.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
@ I am so with you on this. But the truth is I am a very harsh judge of my own behavior. The truth is most of the time I am compassionate and kind. It is that 5% of the time, when I am tired or impatient and overwhelmed that I remember and think about. I forget about all the daily kindnesses I do. The bathing, the feeding , the dressing, the organizing of activities. None of this would happen without my efforts.
I am sure you are much more compassionate than you give yourself credit for.
I think we need to remind ourselves each day what we do our partners not beat ourselves up for what we did wrong...Take care.
Thank you for your kind words and as time has moved on I realise that. I think that as my husband gets worse I can be more patient. The dietician came yesterday and she said to him before she left that he was so fortunate to have me to look after him and he said oh yes I know, with feeling. I felt quite tearful and realised that in spite of my shortcomings I am looking after him as well as I can. After a torrid 18 months of steep decline, he is now in the doldrums. He is eating enough to sustain life and that’s about all so... I know that you have been caring for a long time and wonder if you feel numb at times. I have had a few days of this and have to make a huge effort to keep going at times. Take care too x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, we are over judgemental of ourselves when we care. Yesterday a reliable carer came in so I took the opportunity to go and post a letter, someone crossed to road to see how I was and I just welled over.

I was sharp with someone the other day, she meant well but she said something that indicted I should be more grateful for her help. We all have our trigger points. Her help meant I had to do something too, I was on the edge of exhaustion.

I feel we either can become the victim of this illness or we find ways to compensate ( not the bottle :(:(:( As a bit self defeating in the long run! A glass perhaps? )
I listened to a Gary Zukav talk saying the almost the same.
I am concentrating on fitting in a bit more self care, I go to sleep after the evening carer leavers, so in the 12 hours of night I try to improve my sleep ratio. Rather like a young mum again! Not with the same supple body or energy though!
I have a good cleaner/friend who is empathetic and gives a hug too! She stops me trying Quentin Crisps theory that dust gets so high then falls off!

So a big hug to you all! What a learning curve we have been given!

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Thank you for your kind words and as time has moved on I realise that. I think that as my husband gets worse I can be more patient. The dietician came yesterday and she said to him before she left that he was so fortunate to have me to look after him and he said oh yes I know, with feeling. I felt quite tearful and realised that in spite of my shortcomings I am looking after him as well as I can. After a torrid 18 months of steep decline, he is now in the doldrums. He is eating enough to sustain life and that’s about all so... I know that you have been caring for a long time and wonder if you feel numb at times. I have had a few days of this and have to make a huge effort to keep going at times. Take care too x
Yes, we are over judgemental of ourselves when we care. Yesterday a reliable carer came in so I took the opportunity to go and post a letter, someone crossed to road to see how I was and I just welled over.

I was sharp with someone the other day, she meant well but she said something that indicted I should be more grateful for her help. We all have our trigger points. Her help meant I had to do something too, I was on the edge of exhaustion.

I feel we either can become the victim of this illness or we find ways to compensate ( not the bottle :(:(:( As a bit self defeating in the long run! A glass perhaps? )
I am concentrating on fitting in a bit more self care, I go to sleep after the evening carer leavers, so in the 12 hours of night I try to improve my sleep ratio. Rather like a young mum again! Not with the same supple body or energy though!
I have a good cleaner/friend who is empathetic and gives a hug too! She stops me trying Quentin Crisps theory that dust gets so high then falls off!

@Grahamstown Yes, I have been a carer for many years. And I go up and down...I get help often and choose to spend our money on his care so that I can leave him and go out and keep having a life. It means local activities and friends, not much travel as that is just too costly. Luckily, we were well traveled both in work and leisure...so it does not seem so bad. But I get resentful from time to time....but then I know it is time for me to plan a fun activity. I am one of the fortunate carers, as I really have created a system of support which has allowed my OH to sty at home..I have had years to work all this out, as he got worse and worse...that is not everyone's story. Some folks seem to have a faster on set. (but my OH was also on clinical trials where I feel slowed things down a bit) But it is difficult when I am ill, And I know that someday the time might come where he would need to go to a home. But for the moment it is one day at a time. Do something you really love if you are down....pay to get out of the house.
It is the only way to do the long haul. And my two children support me in all my decisions and my son still comes every Sunday and stays a few hours, gets his dad supper puts him in his pjs and gives me the night off. I am truly blessed.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
But I get resentful from time to time....
This is the nub of it, and I have to count my blessings when I feel like this and learn to live a solo life, not one of our choosing because we would rather have our shared life together. However in the spirit of making the best of it, solo activities do have an up side. A friend and I had coffee together this morning and her husband joined us. My friends are a great comfort to me. I had to make a big effort to go, because of this paralysing feeling which I hope passes soon, but it was so worth while. While I have old age decline she has had a major problem with her daughter and granddaughters, which is far more serious and so I think we can cheer each other up from different perspectives.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
After hope... Despair... Got new meds from elderly mental health team after an horrible week last with hallucinations.. Way out of control and my OH greatly depressed.. Thought I saw a light at the end of tunnel.... Then found pills are making him like a zombie most of the day... Can hardly talk or walk and had a docs appointment for blood pressure and blood test today... To cap it all.. We have a lot of stone steps from our house and I fell putting some kitchen rubbish out... In the rain.. and banged my back on the edge of a stone step.. Shaken but in one piece I stumbled in in floods of tears... The dam burst... Going to get on again to social services to provide rails by the steps... Ans so it goes on... Stopping the pills see how we go.... Feeling a bit sorry for myself today.. Xxxx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
@Linton

I hope you haven’t hurt yourself too badly. It sounds as though you need a rail ASAP.

with regards to the meds for your OH - go back to the doctor who prescribed it, there may be an alternative, or different dosage which would suit better.

Linton

Jul 27, 2019
Thanks Bunpoots... Just sore this morning and whiplash... Going to change meds and waiting for a call back from social services...and moved bins closer to the house. Xxxxxx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

I tried that method- it’s handy for writing notes to self in though that don’t get lost!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
After a two day visit from my brother who takes some of the heat from me, I am back on my own with this ..... man, moaning that his tea is too hot, doesn’t drink it and then it’s too cold. Everything is like this but he will drink the supplements one of which is concentrated high protein three times a day. His diet is awful now, basically anything sweet that he will eat and supplements. I lost my temper, fairly mildly but felt like screaming, and now he is sitting over his soup, eyes closed nodding off. Ooff how I hate it all.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Grahamstown dad is basically surviving on runny scrambled egg fortified with double cream, soup fortified the same and some high calorie chocolate mousse and of course the drinks. Thankfully he doesn't complain other than everything is too big.

I wonder how long this can go on, it's no life for dad or me. He sleeps probably 20 hours a day and just shuffles between his bedroom, the bathroom and his living room. He doesn't recognise his kitchen. They said he was dying 19 months ago (yes, I count the months) and another year is looming, it's all a bit depressing.

I only shouted once when he nearly fell over while doing something daft, I felt so awful that I have not shouted since but it's hard sometimes. It's not surprising we hate it.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I think I had a bad day today, better tomorrow I hope @Duggies-girl my dear man is just the same as your Dad. He is happy enough if all is calm and he gets his tea. It just gets to you sometimes and having people understand so well does help.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
After a two day visit from my brother who takes some of the heat from me, I am back on my own with this ..... man, moaning that his tea is too hot, doesn’t drink it and then it’s too cold. Everything is like this but he will drink the supplements one of which is concentrated high protein three times a day. His diet is awful now, basically anything sweet that he will eat and supplements. I lost my temper, fairly mildly but felt like screaming, and now he is sitting over his soup, eyes closed nodding off. Ooff how I hate it all.

I know rationally that Dementia changes taste buds, so if only sweet tastes now register that means only sweet food is palatable.
To be honest I now accept this, it’s part of the process. Like the tidal changes each day I cannot influence or change this path

calorie intake is important perhaps it’s the body’s way of saying what it needs most!

either way - if that makes meal times easier then that’s fine. Fruit fools are a compromise - a small percentage of fruit!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
@Grahamstown dad is basically surviving on runny scrambled egg fortified with double cream, soup fortified the same and some high calorie chocolate mousse and of course the drinks. Thankfully he doesn't complain other than everything is too big.

I wonder how long this can go on, it's no life for dad or me. He sleeps probably 20 hours a day and just shuffles between his bedroom, the bathroom and his living room. He doesn't recognise his kitchen. They said he was dying 19 months ago (yes, I count the months) and another year is looming, it's all a bit depressing.

I only shouted once when he nearly fell over while doing something daft, I felt so awful that I have not shouted since but it's hard sometimes. It's not surprising we hate it.
I wonder too how long it can go on. Fellow feeling does help as the endless days of decline continue. I have had to tell a colleague whom he doesn’t remember and who has been planning to visit for about a year but couldn’t because of illness, that she has left it too late. It has got to the point where I cannot see the purpose of anyone visiting unless they are very familiar.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I know rationally that Dementia changes taste buds, so if only sweet tastes now register that means only sweet food is palatable.
To be honest I now accept this, it’s part of the process. Like the tidal changes each day I cannot influence or change this path

calorie intake is important perhaps it’s the body’s way of saying what it needs most!

either way - if that makes meal times easier then that’s fine. Fruit fools are a compromise - a small percentage of fruit!
Yes indeed, it’s sugar with everything now, well almost everything because he won’t have it in his beloved tea. It’s just another thing to adjust to, this totally counterintuitive way of feeding him.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yes indeed, it’s sugar with everything now, well almost everything because he won’t have it in his beloved tea. It’s just another thing to adjust to, this totally counterintuitive way of feeding him.

my feelings towards what’s eaten now are 1-does it bring pleasure? 2- taste good?
3- does it really matter at this late stage?

how sad is that?
X