Moving on after my mum’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
So you will have to go back & look at her old bills and see when the last bill based on a READING was ( not an estimate) and work out from that figure, to the final reading exactly how many units have been used, irrespective of the time frame

If paying by monthly direct debit you also need to know what the account balance was at that reading, it could be in credit or debit.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
The executor says that he has told them what the issue is now with all of the estimated bills as opposed to actual use so hopefully this can be sorted out now as well.
House progress continues to be made, the electrician is back this morning & when he has finished then we can start to lay down the flooring in the 2 bedrooms & actually start moving ourselves in which is very exciting but also we have 2 weeks to get in & we have muscle help next weekend!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The executor says that he has told them what the issue is now with all of the estimated bills as opposed to actual use so hopefully this can be sorted out now as well.

Really dont understand what the issue is with the estimated bills- they are neither here nor there now.

its the reading taken on sale completion, minus the last official reading that the supplier took ( you say in 2017) = usage to be paid for
- (any payments made on DD)
+/- any outstanding debt at 2017 bill

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
It sounds as though estimates might have even too low,this can happen.
No, the estimates would have been too high based on 2017 usage or based on the last actual reading in 2017. I agree the cost of the electricity used should be based on the last reading in 2017 & the completion date reading.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Make sure you're not paying for the new owners' bill!
She took the reading on moving in & gave that to me - we are actually friends & became friends through the house buying process. So I know it will be correct & got photo evidence of it. Surely the electricity company can have a look at actual usage between the 2 dates the meter was read & work out what was actually used against the estimates.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Moving on & moving out are the order of the rest of this month. When I told my boyfriend that I actually went to work not much more than a week after my mum died, he was horrified as he said my diary should have been cleared & that I should have had time to grieve which basically I never have had but I was in shock & under pressure with my ex to earn money because basically he wasn’t earning any & it was all up to me despite losing my mum to sort it out & then up to me to sort out the funeral & then the aftermath of everything else.
I’m beyond grateful that I have my own home to live in very soon & that I’m mortgage free which will take a long time to get used to but everything has come at a cost. I’m well behind with my businesses to where I should be & that’s not good & by now I should be taking part in several Christmas events this month but with the pressure of packing & moving, I just can’t do that. I’m a bit gutted at that but can’t be helped.

I have got 3 events booked in next month & trying to sort all my stock out in between moving, even though I am moving diagonally opposite where I live now then it is still a move & I’m still pushing the executor to sort out the DWP & keep pushing them to sort it all out.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Just to say that I've been reading your updates, @Kikki21, and thinking of you.

Wishing you all the best for your move, for sorting out the meter readings, and for some successful business events next month. xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
She took the reading on moving in & gave that to me - we are actually friends & became friends through the house buying process. So I know it will be correct & got photo evidence of it. Surely the electricity company can have a look at actual usage between the 2 dates the meter was read & work out what was actually used against the estimates.
Maybe one department haven't passed the info onto another!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Just to say that I've been reading your updates, @Kikki21, and thinking of you.

Wishing you all the best for your move, for sorting out the meter readings, and for some successful business events next month. xx
Thank you @Marcelle123 much appreciated! I am moving bits across gradually but hopefully with more floor laying in the morning then it will really spur us on. I am really glad that I bought the house & really glad that I met my boyfriend & that he appreciates what I do & vice versa. We both give each other 100% as it should be - I am hopeful that the meter reading will
get sorted as will the DWP stuff. Xx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Moving on & moving out are the order of the rest of this month. When I told my boyfriend that I actually went to work not much more than a week after my mum died, he was horrified as he said my diary should have been cleared & that I should have had time to grieve which basically I never have had but I was in shock & under pressure with my ex to earn money because basically he wasn’t earning any & it was all up to me despite losing my mum to sort it out & then up to me to sort out the funeral & then the aftermath of everything else.
I’m beyond grateful that I have my own home to live in very soon & that I’m mortgage free which will take a long time to get used to but everything has come at a cost. I’m well behind with my businesses to where I should be & that’s not good & by now I should be taking part in several Christmas events this month but with the pressure of packing & moving, I just can’t do that. I’m a bit gutted at that but can’t be helped.

I have got 3 events booked in next month & trying to sort all my stock out in between moving, even though I am moving diagonally opposite where I live now then it is still a move & I’m still pushing the executor to sort out the DWP & keep pushing them to sort it all out.

it’s always a struggle balancing it all. Enjoy your events next month. xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
it’s always a struggle balancing it all. Enjoy your events next month. xx

It has been a massive struggle for me this year & also getting into the right mindset is so important. With all the stress & worry of everything, then it has been hard work.
Thank you for your good wishes though, much appreciated & it will be good to get out & about again!
We have cleared space & rubble from the kitchen dining area now so I am moving boxes across for downstairs! As I have delicate items in them, I’m happy to go box by box so I’m certainly getting my exercise in today & it’s a chilly day too! xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
The executor decided to contact me to say he had paid the electric bill (?!) but he consented to send me the £130 refund for the gas. I guess I have to be thankful for small mercies! He has confirmed that the DWP have received the bank statements but they still couldn’t tell him when it will be sorted & how much if anything there might be to pay.
He seems to think they are looking back to 2003 but that isn’t what the letter states, it states they are looking at the last year of my mum’s life. I am hopeful that surely it won’t take too long to sort this out now but it’s vital he keeps chasing every week. It would be good to think the beneficiaries will get something nice in time for Christmas especially my cousin in Berlin who has a little girl of about 7. The trouble is the executor doesn’t seem to be bothered how long it will take.
Still the extra bit of money helps in cleaning my rented house out at the end of next week so I’m grateful for that. The laminate flooring is down in our bedroom & almost down in the office bedroom so that means that we can start moving those rooms across as from tomorrow & Friday!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
The executor decided to contact me to say he had paid the electric bill (?!) but he consented to send me the £130 refund for the gas. I guess I have to be thankful for small mercies! He has confirmed that the DWP have received the bank statements but they still couldn’t tell him when it will be sorted & how much if anything there might be to pay.
He seems to think they are looking back to 2003 but that isn’t what the letter states, it states they are looking at the last year of my mum’s life. I am hopeful that surely it won’t take too long to sort this out now but it’s vital he keeps chasing every week. It would be good to think the beneficiaries will get something nice in time for Christmas especially my cousin in Berlin who has a little girl of about 7. The trouble is the executor doesn’t seem to be bothered how long it will take.
Still the extra bit of money helps in cleaning my rented house out at the end of next week so I’m grateful for that. The laminate flooring is down in our bedroom & almost down in the office bedroom so that means that we can start moving those rooms across as from tomorrow & Friday!

Expect you are excited about the move! Don’t worry about the executor it will have to balance out eventually.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Expect you are excited about the move! Don’t worry about the executor it will have to balance out eventually.

I’m really excited about moving but I am really, really tired as is my boyfriend. It’s starting to tell on us both. He has been working either before or after work & this week it has been both. As the flooring is down in the office bedroom, I’m now bringing more items across today & tomorrow. Just having a bit of a break now. He has to work overtime tomorrow so that’s not ideal at all so a lot of the lugging is down to me. I’m also needing some more boxes so hopefully he will get some from work today. We have some brief respite later tonight as we are going to go to Curry’s & pick out a fridge freezer & a cooker hood, TV plus kettle & toaster.
I had a bit of a victory with Jet2 as I got some goodwill compensation for a future holiday - £100 off so every bit helps as they say!

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Just wondering how you doing with everything, and where your up to at the new house?

Did you get your stuff from Currys?

It’s great to hear things are progressing, I understand how hard it is and tiring too.....soon be over and settled.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Just wondering how you doing with everything, and where your up to at the new house?

Did you get your stuff from Currys?

It’s great to hear things are progressing, I understand how hard it is and tiring too.....soon be over and settled.

hello @DianeW thank you so we are now living at our home & we are about 65% moved in. Most of the heavy stuff came over on Saturday as we had help moving it across but other than that it has been me & my boyfriend doing all the lugging! We have the next 3 days to move everything over & then 2.5 days left for cleaning as we have decided to do it ourselves.

Luckily my boyfriend is in his early morning shifts this week & is owed some time back so should be finishing at 1pm every day near enough. I have a delivery nearly every single day of an appliance starting today with our new American style fridge freezer. We have a new kettle & toaster arriving tomorrow & then on Wednesday, our new oven, cooker hood & splash back arrive - all from Curry’s. We have taken advantage of early Black Friday deals so at least I will be able to cook. At the moment, I have cooked at the old house & then eaten here, well we did last night anyway.

We have just about finished decorating upstairs although there are a few bits here & there to finish off that he will do when he has the time to do it but today when he comes back from work, he is sorting out the bathroom cabinet & hopefully building our 2 wardrobes.

Then he is planning to start decorating our lounge & then finally building our kitchen - fingers crossed that we will try & do the majority of the work before Christmas but we probably won’t finish the whole inside before then but he is a quick worker!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
hello @DianeW thank you so we are now living at our home & we are about 65% moved in. Most of the heavy stuff came over on Saturday as we had help moving it across but other than that it has been me & my boyfriend doing all the lugging! We have the next 3 days to move everything over & then 2.5 days left for cleaning as we have decided to do it ourselves.

Luckily my boyfriend is in his early morning shifts this week & is owed some time back so should be finishing at 1pm every day near enough. I have a delivery nearly every single day of an appliance starting today with our new American style fridge freezer. We have a new kettle & toaster arriving tomorrow & then on Wednesday, our new oven, cooker hood & splash back arrive - all from Curry’s. We have taken advantage of early Black Friday deals so at least I will be able to cook. At the moment, I have cooked at the old house & then eaten here, well we did last night anyway.

We have just about finished decorating upstairs although there are a few bits here & there to finish off that he will do when he has the time to do it but today when he comes back from work, he is sorting out the bathroom cabinet & hopefully building our 2 wardrobes.

Then he is planning to start decorating our lounge & then finally building our kitchen - fingers crossed that we will try & do the majority of the work before Christmas but we probably won’t finish the whole inside before then but he is a quick worker!
Wow you are a couple of human whirlwinds to complete all of this in such a short time!!
photos please of completed looks! xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonyati