Alzheimers Show - why the £20 entry for carers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soroptimist

Jun 10, 2018
I am angry again - am I being unreasonable? This annual show at Earl's Court may seem like a good idea as it provides information to dementia health professionals and those affected by dementia. But as far as I can tell it's a profit making organisation - and feels the need to charge people £20 entry, like it's any other lifestyle event. If you have dementia it's free to go, and there is £5 off if you are unemployed. But it feels like another slap in the face for carers who get £66 per week for 35+hours caring. I've emailed them to ask why they can't let carers go for free. They should still get a profit from the exhibitors, and the sponsors, and healthcare professionals. I have had no answer.

If it is a non profit organisation and gives the profits back to dementia support then that's more understandable. But I can't see anything to say it's not making money off the back of the misfortune of people affected by this horrific disease. As carers get taken advantage of from so many other angles already it makes me mad!

Of course the irony is that many carers would find it difficult to attend anyway as they are too busy caring!! In which case it's no skin off their nose to make it free for them to attend...

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
[QUOTE="Soroptimist, post: 1675995, member: 74702"If you have dementia it's free to go f[/QUOTE]

I am wondering how this will be verified at the time. Must say none of this sits easy with me either.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
I totally agree it just seems a Money making show. They will be selling things that are over priced and not much good for anyone with dementia to use!

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread. All the above feedback has been passed along to the organisers of the Alzheimer's Show.

We will have discounted tickets to the Alzheimer's Show 2020, similar to what was offered this year. You can find information about the 2019 discounted tickets here: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/discounted-tickets-to-the-alzheimers-show-2019.114853/

These discounted tickets will become available in the New Year and once they do, we'll post a thread about it so any members wishing to go have the option of a discounted ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.